Chapter 21: Avada Kedavra

Don't worry- nobody's dying in this chapter (well, not in real life- don't worry, I'll explain next chapter ;) anyways...) On wiTh thE sTorY...

Queenie had managed to bake a small pie with the leftover blueberries using magic, which the four of them ate for lunch instead.

When Jacob heard about the cake incident earlier that morning, he couldn't stop laughing for ages.

"Honestly, guys: cake! Cake is easy!"

Tina scowled.

"It was Queenie's cat that ruined the cake, not us."

Newt spoke up, drying a dish sitting in the rack with his wand.

"We probably would have made some kind of mistake even without Artemis in the picture," he muttered, pointing his wand toward the drawer and placing the dish inside.

Jacob chuckled.

"It just takes practice, is all!"

Newt and Tina shared a look that suggested they might need an awful lot of practice before they could make something worthy of being edible, let alone tasty.

A few hours later, three of them sat in the living room.

Newt had gone to care for his animals, Queenie was working on sewing a dainty pink scarf for the cool weather, Jacob was reading, and Tina was also reading, though she had fallen asleep a while ago and now lay curled up in the cozy chair, her head lolled to the side on the armrest and the forgotten book in her lap, her hand still holding it open at a page.

Newt, perched on the top couple rungs of the ladder, lifted the lid of his suitcase with tentative fingers a long while later.

Jacob's coat was hanging by the door. He'd gone to bed.

The lights were off in the living room as well, so Newt assumed that the Goldstein sisters had called it a day, too.

He slipped out of the case, clicking the lid quietly shut as he did, and left his coat on the hook next to Jacob's.

As Newt was about to slide under the covers, he thought he heard someone call his name.

He might have been going loopy. He might have been imagining things. He might have been extremely sleepy and hearing what wasn't there.

But Newt reluctantly stumbled out of bed and poked his head around the door.

Eerie silence greeted him.

Sighing, Newt turned from the doorway, deciding that he was going batty and ought to be asleep.

"...Newt..."

Frowning slightly, Newt peered round the corner again.

He wasn't imagining things.

Newt very softly shuffled down the corridor, wand gripped tightly in his clammy palm, all senses alert.

"Lumos," he muttered under his breath, and lifted his wand ever so slightly to illuminate-

Tina.

Newt creeped into he living room to find Tina sleeping peacefully on the large, maroon armchair.

He stopped about a metre away from her when she mumbled something about Aurors. It was then that Newt realised she was talking in her sleep, and he turned around and tiptoed across the carpet to go back to his room.