•Thomas Shelby•

The streets are cast in rays of sweet magnolia and tangerine as the sun slowly breaks over the horizon. Small Heath is tranquil in the early morning, many of its residents still tucked up in bed- or already at work in the many factories throughout Birmingham.

Your heels click on the cobbles of the street you once called home, a street where the closest thing to a family you've ever had still live; your breaths are visible in the chill morning air like smoke from a dragon's menacing jaws. It feels weird to be back here again, your home- and yet not really. Not after six years away, six years studying in London. Everything has changed, not just in your departure from Small Heath, but also because of the war that has ravaged the whole nation. You're not even sure if- if the boys you grew up with, the men you grew to love are still alive- or if they'd even recognise you after so long away. Would you even recognise them?

You reach the battered door of the Shelby household, the memories of the life you once had come flooding back. You hesitate by the door, feeling as though your feet are glued to the floor; tears brim your eyes, knowing that nothing will ever be the same again. Finally, after what feels like forever, you turn and continue walking, feeling like you're leaving them all over again; but you have to go and unpack your belongings at your new house anyways.

You walk through the doors of The Garrison, feeling the need to drown your sorrows after a day of reflection and unpacking. The place hasn't changed at all, the same old smell of alcohol and cigarettes permeates the air. You walk up to the bar, leaning against it and waiting for Harry to spot you. "Oh my lord! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes" Harry exclaims as he approaches you from the other side of the bar, "long time no see Harry" you say, forcing a smile, "what can I get for you Y/N?" He asks with a grin on his face, "A whiskey, double" you reply and he turns to get your drink. You pull your money out of your purse as he places the drink down in front of you, but he shakes his head "it's on the house", you smile again "thank you, I need this". Harry chuckles and leaves you be, serving a group of men at the other end of the bar. You sip tentatively on your drink, savouring the burning sensation as it slips down your throat, you close your eyes and sigh deeply.

The doors to the pub slam open and the whole place seems to fall into a tense silence. You open your eyes slowly and turn your head in the direction of the disturbance, what you see makes your heart jump into your throat. Walking through the doors are the men you'd left behind when you went to study in London, the people you knew you'd never forget, even if a million years separated you. Your eyes lock with the vibrant pools of blue that belong to the one and only Thomas Shelby, so different and yet the same, even after all these years. Recognition sparks in those eyes you had fallen in love with as a child, the eyes of a man who had broken you without even knowing. Arthur and John seem to spot you too, shock covering their features. Your heart races as they approach the bar- as they approach you. You pull out a cigarette, lighting it and taking a drag, blowing out the smoke as if it could hide you from the inevitable. You knock back the rest of your drink, hoping it'll give you the courage you'll need for this encounter.

The three men stop in front of you, neither you n'or them saying anything for a few long moments; you continuing to smoke your cigarette slowly. "Is it really you?" John asks, breaking the blanket of silence that had settled over the bar, you blink trying to figure out what to say, "yes" you eventually reply, though your voice feels feeble in comparison to the deep masculine tone of John's. Another excruciatingly long moment passes by before he envelopes you in a hug, it's tight and makes you feel so safe, just like the old days. You pull away and Arthur does the same. "It's good to see you Y/N" Arthur mumbles in your ear before letting you go, you look to Thomas and he just stares at you, an unreadable expression gracing his handsome features. He turns away from you, beckoning to Harry, "a bottle of whiskey" his gruff voice bellows, Harry doesn't hesitate to get him what he wants, not taking any payment from Tommy.