Day Four Seminar

Well, nobody carried me in the night. I woke up strong, stronger than ever but I had been feeding on snacks. I missed Nellie. We always ate together, I found it difficult to cook and eat alone in her absence. I was working towards changing that but so far, no progress. 

"Someone can love you and still not know how to love you right," Michelle was saying that morning.

"Gifts, money matter a lot in a relationship. That doesn't mean dating is just for the rich. Appreciation doesn't cost much.  Everyone appreciates an honest gift that is not show off."

She looked around at the audience faces and maybe was disappointed to see me popping my capri sonne then but she continued. 

"Some people don't buy gifts for their partners because they don't want the gift they brought to shame them. They wait till they have enough but that doesn't happen. " She paused and shrugged.

" News flash, it is between the both of you. If you buy a gift, your partner does not appreciate just because it's cheap then it's not your fault. The fault lies in your partner and you should really run from such people."

She looked at our faces. I was done with my drink but did not bring out another. It no more gave me the feeling it used to give me.

"The manner in which you present a gift to someone you love also matters. What about surprises, what about random gifts, not because it's Valentine, not because it's birthday, not because it's new year or Christmas but because you want to say, I appreciate you everyday. Thank you for being in my life."

Talking about birthdays, coming Saturday was Nellie's birthday. I already bought a cartoon movie and some toys I will give to her just to remind her I was older than her. The large Pooh Bear I ordered had not arrived. I knew she would find the gifts hilarious but that was the idea. 

"Money can never stand in for a gift. I mean cash. It is never the same. "

"Louder for the short brothers at the back !" someone shouted. Everyone laughed. 

My father believed money was everything. 'I'm going to be sending some money monthly, ' he said. After he left us, he sent money to us till we heard he had remarried and my mom, heartbroken and scorned, made arrangements for us to move from the East to the North. 

I had to buy a gift for my mom and say, "I appreciate you everyday. Thank you for being in my life." 

"because of the prayer session we are having today in the largest hall, today is going to be brief," I heard Michelle say. 

"So you all are invited. Hope to see you all." 

When she was done with the announcement she walked over to me. She was wearing a sky blue shirt tucked into high waisted bottom pants. 

"Kass, how are you?" 

"I'm wonderful. How are you?"

"Definitely better than you."

I laughed while she stood smiling at me. "You are coming right? It's a brief one."

"No uhh_ I have to umm_Yeah go to market. My mom is coming over." I was looking at her, trying to read her expression. She just wore an amused face. 

"Really, Kass?"

I nodded then she said, "That's alright."  

She walked to where her handbag was, lifting it to her shoulder, she left the class. Maybe she was angry but how was I to know? She was not threatening me like Nellie or my mom. She seemed okay.