Day Six Seminar

It was Friday. I knew that just by the clapping outside and the sound of the lodge president's voice as he led in praises. The day could only be Monday or Friday. Those were the days of the lodge prayers unless someone heard an old woman in the middle of the night or a baby's cry. Times like that, a Vigil would be organised without respect to the day of the week. 

I wore a jogger on my boxers and I stepped outside to the quadrangle where the other lodge mates were gathered. I walked quietly till I got a spot I could sit - a broken piece of block. 

They sang and jumped around. It got me wondering how anyone could be so active early in the morning. I was the only one sitting, hugging out the cold from myself. I should not have worn just a singlet.

When the worship started, the shouts and jumping became erratic. Everyone was speaking in tongues and thrashing, walking around. I still remained where I sat, offering a prayer of thanksgiving to God. 

The prayers finally came to an end and they shared wafers to everyone that came out for the prayers. I took mine, about to go inside when the lodge president stopped me. 

"Thank you for coming out today," he said. It was my first time so he must have felt a special appreciation was required. 

I nodded with a smile before entering my room.

For the first time, I cooked and I ate alone. I prepared Jollof rice with canned fish and I ended up finishing the pot of rice before noon, more out of boredom than hunger. 

I watched,  'A Madea's  family funeral ' with my peanuts in a bowl. I was determined to enjoy my solitude. It was the sixth day of the seminar. I decided not to go. 

Nellie''s Pooh Bear came in later in the evening. I picked it up from the school park. I got a bike back to my lodge. It was then that my mom called, just as I keyed into the door. 

"Mummy, good evening, " I greeted, pushing open the door. 

"Kassy, I want to talk to you about something. Are you settled? "

I dumped the wrapped teddy in a corner and collapsed on the bed. 

"I'm relaxed now," I said. 

"Kassy, I am getting married."

I laughed. "How, are you extending your business? " I asked. 

"What is wrong with this one? " she muttered over the phone. 

"I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean naa," I said, still laughing. 

She sighed. "I'm remarrying, Kamsi. It's Pastor James."

There was silence. I knew Pastor James. His wife was late and he had one very young in primary school. 

I had never thought of it; belonging to a full family again, I had never thought of having another father. I had never thought she even wanted to remarry. I had never thought of sharing her with other siblings. I wanted to ask so many questions like, how long they had been seeing but none of it would matter.

" Are you happy, do they make you happy? " I asked. 

"Yes, honey. I am sorry we have not talked about this till now."

" I understand that you did not know how I would react," I replied. 

"You are okay right, with the whole of this?"

I nodded like she could see me before replying, "sure."

"Have you talked to Nellie? Don't forget her birthday tomorrow."