Chapter- 22

“I never thought I’d miss this place so much.” I sighed, plopping myself down on the softness of my own, my very own, green bed. The comforter was thick and feathery and covered in a black spirally design. The walls were a homey shade of extremely light green, covered in posters of bands and other celebrities. The desk to the right was covered in homework papers and text books and the small TV to the left was dusty but it worked.

I closed my eyes and consumed the familiar scent of my room. The room that I haven’t seen in almost two weeks but it feels like it’s been forever.

“Welcome home, sweetie.” My mom said in the doorway.

I sat up in my bed and grinned at her. “Hey, Mom.”

“So how ‘bout a movie night? Me, you and Toni.” She said with a small smile. “And you can invite that boyfriend of yours.”

I stood up from my bed, with the help of my crutches, and limped over to the desk. “His name is Dyson and he’s still in the hospital.” I started fishing through my desk for my phone charger.

“I know, I talked to him.” She said, causing me to jump and drop one of my crutches. Before falling, I caught myself with the desk.

“What?!” I croaked.

She rushed over to me and handed me the crutch. “Don’t worry, I didn’t embarrass you. I just made sure that he was serious about you. I don’t want nobody breakin’ your heart, sweety.”

“Mom, I’m fine.” I insisted. “You didn’t need to talk to him.”

“Well, I didn’t get much in since the doctor came in and I suppose it wouldn’t have done much good anyway since he doesn’t remember much.”

“See? It was pointless.” I said, my mind filled with possibilities of what my mom could have possibly told Dyson.

“Which is why I invited him over for dinner next week.” She chirped with a smile.

I let out an embarrassed sigh, knowing that freaking out wouldn’t solve the matter. “Okay, I’ll go call Toni.”

“I’ll make popcorn.” My mom chirped, wrapping her arms around me tightly before her light brown hair bounced out of my room and down the hall towards the kitchen.

Trying not to think of what Dyson was thinking right now, I pulled out my phone charger and put it into the wall before attaching it to my phone and dialing Toni’s number.

“Hey, Cripple.” She answered.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. “Hey, Toni. You’re coming over tonight, right?”

“Well, of course.”

“What about me?” I heard Chris yell in the back ground.

“Shut up, Chris!” Toni yelled, causing me to laugh. “Hey, how’s Dyson?”

“He hasn’t remembered yet but he’s coming over for dinner because of my mom. Gosh, I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“It’ll be fine. You’re mom’s totally cool. It’ll work out. Besides, I’m inviting myself.”

“Really?” I laughed.

“Yep. I’ll fix any awkwardness in the air.” She chirped.

“Alright. Now, get over here or you’ll be late for Charlie St. Cloud.”

“No! I’m coming, I’m coming!” She squealed right before the line went dead.

Twenty minutes later, I was stuck in the middle of my couch with my mom on one side of me and Toni on the other while we shared a bowl of peanut buttery popcorn.