Chapter 24: Our Wonderous Return

At the palace, somehow, the whole of Fairy Tail had arrived and was eating and drinking happily in the dining hall. "Kids! I didn't expect you back so early!" Dad, who was completely and utterly drunk, wobbled over to the returning party. He had been drinking with Cana. "They grew weak in their old age. What's all this?" I briefly brushed over the subject, drawing the attention of every guild member in the room. "LUCY!" They bellowed, rushing to tackle me in a massive group hug. I giggled as the silliness of this nostalgic action and waited until they excreted all their love on me. Meaning their tears.

Once everyone recollected themselves, we started drinking, after a toast from the master of course. "I've never drunk like this before!" I squealed excitedly, happy to have the careful guild back. Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but there's nothing like Fairy Tail parties. "Don't lie, princess. Don't you remember that night in Akane Resort." Madoka teased my one-night affair and I pushed her jokingly. "I thought that was our secret, Mado!" I giggled, surrounded by all my favourite people in the world. The rest of Sabre Tooth had returned just in time for our all-night party. "This is not what I want to hear," Sting complained at the image of my freedom as the girls laughed. "Hey, Luce! Come over here!" Natsu quickly interrupts, so I excused myself from the conversation.

"What's up, Natsu?" I cock my head, joining the circle of Gray, Juvia, Erza, Wendy and Gajeel. "We wanted to toast your return to our team!" Wendy giggled and, getting ahead of myself, I happily clinked my glasses with everyone.

As the party continued, my home getting a little roughhoused, I decided to get a bit of fresh air. Natsu and Gray were fighting and Erza was trying to break them up, so I thought I could slip out unbothered. Or so I thought. "Luce." I heard Natsu announce himself behind me. I was sat on the front steps of the palace, the closest open area to the dining hall. "Natsu." I smiled up at him as he plopped down beside me. We sat in silence for a bit, neither of us knowing what to say or do.

"It was so quiet when you were gone." He announced out of the blue. I turned my head to see he was looking up at the clear, starry sky. "I mean, sure Gray, Gajeel and I still argued all the time, and Cana was still drinking and Erza was still eating cake, but we didn't go on as many exciting adventures as when you were with us, y'know?" He shrugged, turning his gaze to look at me. He looked so happy to see me that I blushed, quickly turning away in fear he could see me in the bright moonlight the full moon emitted. "How come?" Played off my embarrassment coolly, leaning back against the step behind me. My back was still straight, as I had been raised. "You always wanted to go on the weirdest and most dangerous missions, even if they didn't pay that much. It kinda felt wrong to do them without you." He explained and I felt my cheeks grow warmer. "So, you were still thinking about me?" I smiled, happy to know they still cared about who they thought was dead. "Not me. Mira refused to let us take any." He admitted and the flipping feeling in my stomach instantly stalled. I frowned. "But I understood where she was coming from. When Lisanna came back, she didn't leave her house for a week." He added to the negative feelings I was having. I sighed. So dense.

"I hated myself for a while, as well." He finally admitted and my gaze shot back to his broad back. His hands were clutched together and I could see how tightly he grabbed them as his knuckles were turning white. I heard him sniff and instantly placed a hand on his back, peered into his face. He looked so angry. "I thought I killed you when Gramps told us. He didn't say anything until I told them you were the one that sent all that water into the guildhall. If he had told us when he first found out, I don't think I could've ever done a mission again." He let a tear slip down his cheek and I didn't know what to do. I had never seen this side of him. "But I am alive, Natsu. Don't think about that." I demanded and he looked up, his face scarily serious. "I've only heard about this type of feeling from the books Levy and Mira read. A pain that's so strong that I can't stay without you. Life is so boring when you aren't around, Luce." He explained and my breath cut off.

I-Is he confessing to me? I had never thought of him this way. I never cared about boyfriends like the other girls at the guild. I gulped, removing my hand as he turned to me and grabbed my shoulders. "Come back to the guild. Join our team again. We haven't really aged that much." He smiled and I couldn't help but giggle. "Natsu, I have a whole life here. I teach kids how to deal with their magic. I can't just drop them and leave them to fend for themselves." I debated, although most of my students would be 'graduating' soon. I hadn't been part of a guild in so long, I don't know how I would be able to cope. "Bring them with you. Please, Lucy. I need you." He leaned in to ensure I was aware of how desperate he was. "N-Natsu... I..."