Chapter 20: Link

The Observer's arrow whizzed through the air. A long trail of silvery wire was attached to the weapon. Within seconds the arrow reached its target, implanting deeply into the rear of the metal machine. The helicopter was now only the size of a tennis racket in Ethan's eyes, but he could hear the ping the arrow made from his position. Rapidly, the Observer was jolted off the roof by the wire and sent sailing towards the Helicopter. Barry and Ethan shared a concerned look. The pair of them shuffled forwards to the edge of the building to get a closer look at the copter. "What is she doing?" Barry snarled under his breath.

"I don't know, but it can't be good," Ethan replied evenly.

The feint noise of team Flash drifted into his ears. He could hear their voices, but his mind was entirely focused on the Copter. Focusing himself, he managed to deduce they were asking what had happened. "The Observer took us out. She cut our achilles and then they all got away. Yet for some strange reason, the Observer had grappled to the copter mid-flight." He answered, barely aware of the words leaving his mouth. The Observer's form hauled itself into the mighty machine.

Before Ethan could elaborate any further the dark silhouette of Iris was thrust out of the Copter. Barry cried out, but before she could fall too far, a blue pulsating breach opened up beneath her and she fell through. Within seconds another breach opened above the immobile speedsters. Irises limp form fell through it and landed next to them in a heap. It didn't take long for her right herself and run to her husband's side. "Barry, are you okay?" She clutched his shoulders in her hands. Her eyes were dazed and glossy, but her balance seemed fine.

"Where's Nora? Barry asked, clutching her hand in his own and staring out at the copter with an open mouth.

Irises chest was heaving, "I don't know." Her voice cracked, "I think she is still on the helicopter. The Observer appeared out of nowhere and started fighting Tate. Next thing I knew I was falling," she answered him, wide eyes scanned the horizon.

Before their very eyes, Tate was flung from the copter and sent plummeting towards the choppy waters below. A screech from Medusa could be heard from where they were. Tate was falling fast, but a yellow and purple streak was running even faster, weaving through the streets and across water towards him.

Only a second later another silhouette escaped the helicopter, except their time it was the Observer who was very clearly clutching a small human to his chest. "NORA!" The couple cried out simultaneously. Another breach ripped open in the sky and the Observer gracefully slipped into it. Except this time, no breach opened above the speedster.

The purple streak met with Tate and a large black parachute like object was spread across the ocean where he was supposed to land. Had Nora carried Ralph across the whole of Central City and spread him out in the water? Of course, they had used Ralph to break the surface tension of the water. Ingenious. Tate was immediately consumed by the black material of the hero's suit. With that the helicopter turned, redirecting its path completely and returning towards the city.

A wash of air rushed over them. Excess stood by their sides in a instant, her arms hung limply by her sides. "Too late," she muttered under her breath as her posture deflated.

*

Barry felt Irises gentle heat wash over them. They were seated in the lounge room of Star labs alone. Iris was curled into his side. The air around them was still as it was silent. Barry's head hung backwards, his eyes shut and heavy. Even without being able to see it, he knew this room like the back of his hand. The irresistible couches, the glass coffee table with many mug rings. The brown carpet that matched the brown leather of the couches. This room was by far the one he enjoyed spending time in the most. It's gentle aesthetic calmed his soul. The sweet scent of coffee drifted past his nose. He would kill for a coffee. "Barry," Iris's voice brought him back from his semi-consciousness. He let out a croaky hum in response, lifting his head and peeling open his eyes. "Do you think Nora is alright?" Her voice wavered. The speedster could only see the top of his wife's head, but he knew that the corners of her lips were turned down and the whites of her eyes were tinged red.

"Well older Nora seems fine," Barry responded his eyes were drawn to the inky black colour of her hair and the halo of light it had. With his free hand, he began to fiddle with a loose strand of her hair.

"That's not what I meant," she sighed. "I know older Nora is still alive, so that must mean that little Nora is but there is still so much that could happen that wouldn't show on big Nora. Our baby could be going through hell and we wouldn't even know."

Barry paused and pursed his lips. It felt as though a snake was wrapping around his chest, tightening its grip with every breath he took. Iris was right, if little Nora was suffering there was a slim chance that big Nora would feel it. They had no idea what the toddler was going through. All they could so was sit and wait. "Honey, right now we need to be hopeful that she is fine. That's all we have." With a hefty sigh, Iris burrowed deeper into his side.

Caitlin had mentioned it was a good thing that the helicopter had been above the sea. Since the copter was moving forwards with such a large horizontal velocity, when he fell out, no matter where from in that office block, he would have hit a building and died. Some part of Barry, some sick part of him deep down wished that Tate had fallen out much sooner. Nora had dropped Ralph, containing Tate, back at the police station. They had luckily the forethought to bring power dampening cuffs to completely incapacitate Tate. Barry owed them a thanks.

"Guys!" Cisco ran into the room red faced and puffing. Following behind him a bit more slowly was Caitlin. Curly locks of toffee hair bounced on her shoulders and brushed her rosey cheeks. Iris immediately sat up. Barry sat up in his seat shuffling to the edge. The two scientist stood in front of the couple with dark and grave faces. "We tracked the helicopter whilst you were sleeping. Ethan checked, it was totally destroyed just like the car that nabbed you in the first place." Cisco told them, nodding to Iris and huffing for breath as he went. Barry nearly snorted. Sleeping? No, he couldn't sleep. Not when the constant fear that his daughter was gone for good was banging drums in his ears. Not when the constant thought that his child might be in pain was chewing at his spine. Not when his family was torn apart.

Caitlin rolled her eyes at him. "That's not what we came to tell you." She elbowed him. "We got a message from the Observer."