chapter OO5 - Tell Me

Same Day
7 days left

           The losers club left the Wheeler's house after a cookie eating ceremony. Night had arrived and the three special kids were at the basement getting ready for bed.
   Eleven took the small den Mike made for her under the table. It was soft and cozy thanks to the blankets and pillows that nestled in there. Francine stayed on the sofa, which the boys had to clear up as it was littered with comic books and food.
Lastly, Five got settled on a sleeping bad beside the sofa.

       "So.... tell me about this Brenner guy." Five said, staring up at the ceiling. He directed it to Francine, seeing that she was closer and she could speak a bit more. "He's bad." Francine sighed.

"elaborate."

"He keeps us inside the lab. It's in the forest." Francine said. Five glanced at her to check if she was okay. Her hands fiddled with the blanket's edge and she too was staring at the ceiling.

"and he keeps us locked inside cold white rooms. Tests us. Uses our powers." she continued.

"I bet if he found out about me, he'll get me too." Five whispered.
There was something he was forgetting. It felt like it was something important but he couldn't tell. A feeling of forgetfulness, similar to when one is questioning whether they had taken vitamins earlier that day or not.

"How long-"

"Since I was five." Francine turned to him. "It was the only memory I have of my parents. I wish I could forget." Her eyes drifted on and gazed into Five's.

They had similarities.

Both have abilities.

Both have dismissive parents.

Both were sold away to be tested and trained.

When they looked into each others eyes, they saw themselves.
Of course literally.
And also figuratively.

"We better get rest. Long day tomorrow." Five said, breaking the gaze and turning to the other side. Francine nodded and snuggled under the thick blanket, something she never had in the Lab. She thought back to the day of her escape, remembering the feeling of fresh air and grass on her feet. Seeing all of those people and tasting real food for the first time. Meeting these kids who accepted her as a bit normal and not treating her like a test subject for once in her life.

She felt different entirely.

                            ----

Next Day
six days left

        "Six days. Six days. SIX FUCKING DAYS." Eddie panicked as he and the rest of the losers club biked to the quarry. The boys were troubled at the thought of possibly being wiped out of the face of the earth in six days. Thoughts passed their heads.
This could be their last bike ride.
Their last quarry visit.
Maybe their last breath before some alien force kicks them out.

"You know it surprises me really," Richie said. "the world ends in six fucking days and here we are, biking to the fucking quarry." He grinned.

"Better make the most of our possibly last days on earth." Stan muttered, standing his bike at the side of the quarry.

           After a spitting contest and some bickering, the boys were ready to jump. "Ok who's first." Stan said, hoping it wasn't him.
The four boys peered in, seeing the greenish blue water and the amount of falling they had to do.

"What if our head crashes into one of those rocks? You know, we can always take the shortcut and head to the shoreline and skip the jumping part right? C'mon let's go" Eddie decided and started heading to the other side before Richie yanked his arm and pulled him back.