eight : top of the rock.

it turned out that jae's surprise had two phases. the first phase was sightseeing new york from a building called the top of the rock. the second phase would occur later that night but he was careful not to say what it was, much to your disappointment.

there was already a line forming outside of the building and jae led you to the end of it. while waiting, he animatedly described the sights you could see from the building and it warmed your heart to see him so excited. soon enough, you were entering the building and going up the winding staircase.

a security check and a short documentary later, you were ascending the building in the elevator. it dropped you off at the top of the building in a room with big windows that featured the skyline of new york and the towering buildings of the surrounding area.

you looked around with amazement. jae tied hair your up, explaining that it was windy outside. he finished with a kiss to your cheek.

with your hair now in a ponytail, jae led you out to the patio. rows of glass stretched along the border of the patio, providing a clear view of the city. central park, the hudson river and the empire state could all be seen. you marveled at the beautiful view, taking pictures of the gorgeous skyline.

suddenly, you felt jae's arms wrap around your waist from behind. startled, you almost dropped your phone, but once you realized it was jae you relaxed into his arms. he kissed the top of your head and you stood there for a moment, just enjoying the view.

you went to the other side of the building and took more pictures. some were with the both of you, some of just jae and some of just you. your favorites were the candid ones of jae, like the one where the wind picked up and blew his hair, making him scrunch his face up adorably.

you decided to go to the gift shop for souvenirs. you ended up getting matching hoodies, and despite having your own, you planned to steal jae's from him later.

after a while, jae suggested that you go back to the hotel to get ready for phase two of his surprise. when you asked him why you couldn't just go straight there, he simply replied that you weren't wearing the right clothes. further prying got no answers so you pouted on the way back to the hotel, much to jae's amusement.