chapter 5: falling in love

joyce was driving the boys back home. she glanced back to the sight of mike sleeping on wills shoulder.

"how's he doing?" joyce whispered.

"he's just sleeping. i think he will be okay." will smiled, looking down at the sleeping boy.

-

"hey mike. we're home." will whispered, shaking mike as lightly as he could.

"what?" mike groaned, sitting up.

"come on, let me help you, bud." will giggled, helping mike out of the car.

will helped mike inside, and as they were walking in, will realized that he called mike bud. oh gosh, mike wheeler was the love of his life, but why would he call him that if he knew mike didn't like him? but didn't mike like him?

will helped mike onto the couch to sleep. mike dozed off again getting some rest, as will got together an ice pack and cream to help mikes bruises and cuts.

mike woke up to the cold feeling of an ice pack on his cheek, and will looking into his eyes.

"oh! hey mike. how are you feeling?" will asked, brightly smiling.

"better. thank you." mike attempted to smile, but it stung a bit.

"you're welcome." will nodded.

"do you mind if i sit at the end of the couch?" will asked.

"sure. im still a bit tired." mike croaked.

"get all the rest you need, bud." will said, rubbing mikes leg.

and yet again, will called mike bud. but he started to realize. he really was starting to fall in love. he would take everything he has to date mike wheeler. his soft voice he used, and the dark, black hair, and the freckles neatly placed on his face, and his adorable self, sleeping. i just kinda wish you were gay. will thought. but he also was confused because he thought mike liked him. he said it two days ago. but what if he was lying? all of these what ifs popped into his head, but will just ignored them.

will just sat there adoring mike while he was sleeping. he drew a little bit, and rubbed mikes leg.

"hey, will." mike smiled, waking up.

"hey! you're up." will laughed.

"yes, and the best thing to wake up to is the sight of you." mike giggled, hugging will.

mike sighed and thought for a little. he knew he didn't like will. he knew he didn't. but at the same time he had these feelings he has never had for someone. he always felt extremely happy, and loved. but he didn't like boys. he liked jane, and now will? mike wheeler could never like boys. but will byers felt perfect in his eyes.

"will. i-i love you." mike smiled.

"i-i do, too." will giggled.

"it was all my fault earlier today." mike sighed.

"no it wasn't. you were trying to protect me, mike. i appreciate it so much." will said with empathy.

"really?" mike asked, surprised.

"yes. just next time don't get hurt." will giggled.

"okay." mike nodded.

the two boys sat there, thinking. but mike was questioning himself the most. he was questioning his sexuality. he couldn't be gay. but at the same time, he was falling in love with will. but he liked jane a little while ago. could mike actually be falling in love with his kindergarten best friend, william byers?

will also thought. but all he thought about was mike, and what he said. he loves me. will thought. will knew that he had fallen head over heels for michael wheeler.