« five »

The forest seemed to be at ease when the storm died down, spitting out sprinkles of rain as Ryan and Joshua started to head back home

The forest seemed to be at ease when the storm died down, spitting out sprinkles of rain as Ryan and Joshua started to head back home. For them, it felt like minutes but in reality, it was two hours, they didn't mind though.

Ryan also brought along his camera, every so often taking a picture while Joshua held the flashlight. Ryan loved everything about the forest to its surroundings and animals, more especially the pack of wolves that lived in the depths of the trees but Joshua never paid mind to that.

A rustle in a few bushes caught Joshua's attention, swinging the flashlight over as two bodies emerged, more specifically two wolves.

"Ryan, there's wolves."

Ryan, who was just a few steps ahead, turned around and gasped. He looked more excited than frightened. Ryan happily pranced closer to the unexpected intruders while Joshua backed up, watching with wide eyes as the wolves walked up to Ryan and..sat there?

Joshua was more confused than scared as Ryan even started to talk to them, petting their heads and even responding like the wolves were talking back. It was then that the wolves took their leave and Ryan taking a couple more pictures before going about his business, looking back at Joshua who was still frozen in spot.

"Josh? Are you coming?"

Joshua snapped out of his daze and looked over at Ryan, stuttering in place for a couple of seconds before nodding his head.

"Y-Yeah, I'm coming."

Ryan smiled and started walking, Joshua waited a few seconds before following, looking behind him to see the two wolves watching him.

-

It took another hour or so for both boys to get back to Joshua's house, the power has finally come back on and Ryan was ecstatic to look over the photos he took. It was a little after six now, Ryan had brought his computer so he could download the pictures from his camera onto it.

And Joshua? Well, he was still assessing over what had happened in the forest.

He watched Ryan from his desk, only a few hours prior was his friend talking to wolves and now Ryan went on about his day like nothing ever happened. His phone brought him back to reality when an unknown number flashed onto his screen, clearly getting Ryan's attention too as Joshua picked it up and showed it to Ryan.

"Do you know this number?"

Joshua could tell by Ryan's expression that he did but his friend shook his head and went back to his computer. Joshua rolled his eyes and declined the answer, dropping his phone back onto the desk and went back to his own little world.

It was quiet except for Ryan sometimes typing on his computer, Joshua looking over at his door to see it slightly moving until the one and only Jim trotted in, the little pup instantly going over to Joshua and jumping up into his lap.

Joshua cooed silently and petted Jim.

"Hey, little bub, what are you doing in here? Are my siblings not giving you any attention?"

Jim whined gently and curled up, Joshua couldn't help but kiss the little pup on the head.

"How long have you had him?"

Joshua paid more attention to the pup but he heard his friend.

"Just a month or so, he's only a couple months old."

Joshua looked up to see Ryan staring at both him and the pup before looking back at his computer.

"Maybe if you came with me to the forest more often you won't be scared of the wolves, you'd find yourselves getting attached to them like you are to your pup."