Chapter 42

"Wavepelt, you can go on Barkstripe's patrol," Flamefur decided. "Check the Sunningrocks border again. Ever since they attacked and stole prey, we have to be careful."

"Okay," Wavepelt replied. Flamefur was handling his deputy duties well since the while ago he had actually been made deputy.

"Could I come?" Ashheart asked, bounding up.

"Sure." Flamefur nodded. "Go join them."

Wavepelt and her old apprentice padded over to Barkstripe, Whiteclaw, Greeneyes, and Hawkpaw. Hawkpaw was practically bouncing for no exact reason Wavepelt knew why.

"Let's go," Barkstripe grunted, setting off through the gorse tunnel. Wavepelt fell in step with Whiteclaw and Greeneyes, and Ashheart hovered behind. Hawkpaw tried to squeeze in at the edge and got himself stuck on the thorn barrier.

"Mouse-brain!" Greeneyes scolded, good-tempered. "Can't you see there's not enough room?" His whiskers twitched with amusement.

"Uh... now I know!" Hawkpaw pulled himself out of the barrier, leaving tufts of black and white. He stayed at the back of the patrol as they entered the forest.

"Almost a warrior," Greeneyes muttered, "and getting stuck in the thorn barrier."

Wavepelt's whiskers twitched.

"I heard that!" Hawkpaw exclaimed. "It was a mistake..."

"Sure it was." Greeneyes's eyes sparkled.

"Come on," Barkstripe declared. "Let's get this patrol over with." He was alreay in the lead, fallen leaves crinkling under his paws.

Wavepelt's fur prickled as the breeze swept toward her. Mouthwatering scents accompanied it— mouse, rabbit, and vole, although there were no birds.

Then she smelled a sharp tang, and stopped abruptly.

"What is it?" Whiteclaw asked.

"I... I don't know," Wavepelt mused. "I've never smelled it before. It's a weird scent."

Whiteclaw tasted the air and his expression changed to confusion.

"Me neither," he remarked. "Barkstripe?"

"What?" Barkstripe stopped.

"Do you know what that weird scent is?" the white tom asked.

Barkstripe tasted the air by parting his jaws. Then he shook his head.

"Who knows," he commented. "Perhaps it's a Twoleg thing. I don't really care." He shrugged and continued walking.

Wavepelt also continued, tasting the air every now and then to try and find out what the scent was. It's weird... she kept thinking.

As they started patrolling along the RiverClan border, Wavepelt heard the rushing water of the river. In a way, it felt relaxing to her. Everything seems so calm. It was almost like a normal day.

But it wasn't.

The scent kept bugging her along the border, and Wavepelt clenched her teeth in frustration.

Just ignore it, she told herself. It's probably a Twoleg thing, like Barkstripe said.

Soon they reached the river, with sparkling shapes that caught Wavepelt's eye. She looked down, and saw a couple carp swimming down the current.

"I wonder what it's like for RiverClan," Hawkpaw mused. "Eating fish all day!"

"You've never even tried fish," Ashheart countered. "You don't know what it tastes like."