Chapter 11

My giddy grin turned into a guilty lump in my throat the next morning at breakfast.

Dad kept going on and on about how exciting this was (for Hiccup and himself), how his boys was becoming a man, but mostly, and this was the clincher, how proud he was of his son.

We finally told him we were going to get to the arena early so Hiccup could prepare and so I could find a good seat.

Neither of us said a word the whole walk. A few people yelled wishes of good luck to Hiccup while others pointed and whispered admiringly. The silence continued as we watched the village fill the arena stands.

Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruffnut and Tuffnut all came over to give Hiccup a few hearty slaps on the back. Tuffnut even said something about throwing a party to celebrate if he didn't get killed. When we were alone again I finally found my words.

"You own me a lesson." I told him frankly. Hiccup arched his brow. "When you survive this everyone's going to what to learn how to fly." I explained. "Just remember I have first dibs."

"I will." He promised, smiling just the tiniest bit.

The chatter of the crowd swelled to a cheer as dad took the stage. He started giving a speech about how Hiccup had been the least likely to come first in dragon training.

"But here we are." Dad said as he wrapped up. "And no one's more surprised...or more proud than I am. Today, my boy becomes a Viking. TODAY, HE BECOMES ONE OF US!" The crowd started cheering again.

I glanced at my brother. At one point not so long ago all he'd wanted was to be 'one of them'. Now he didn't seem too sure.

"Be careful with that dragon." Astrid said as she joined us. "It's not the dragon I'm worried about." Hiccup admitted, his eyes following our father as took a seat on his throne.

"What are you gonna do?" She asked him, hoping as much as I was that he actually had a plan. "Put an end to this." He said bluntly. "I have to try." The two of us looked from each other to Hiccup dubiously.

"Astrid, if something goes wrong..." He started. "Don't talk like that." I said quickly. "Just make sure they don't find Toothless." He finished. "I will. Just... promise me it won't go wrong." Astrid said almost pleadingly.

Gobber's arrival cut the conversation short. "It's time, Hiccup. Knock him dead." He said proudly and opened the arena door. With the wheels finally in motion I took the time to analyze the layout of the arena.

Gobber had cleared the place out. No planks for cover. No buckets of water to put out the inevitable fires. The space was almost empty except for a rack of weapons to choose from.

Hiccup walked over to the stand and picked the smallest dagger.  Other than a few murmurs throughout the crowd everyone reminded still. Hiccup signaled that he was ready and the log that bared the cage shut was slowly winched up.

All of two seconds passed before a red and black, broadwing Monstrous Nightmare burst through the the doors! Like all the dragons from training, the first thing it did was climb around the arena, looking for a way out.

Did no one see this?!

Only the best Vikings went after Monstrous Nightmares. They were fierce and lit their whole bodies on fire when they attacked. They didn't scare easily, yet this one looked for a way out as soon as it had the chance.

The dragon soon realized it was trapped and turned its attention towards it opponent.

Hiccup approached the Nightmare slowly, raising his hand like how he'd taught me to approach Toothless.