The Child (6)

ETHANS POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It was strange. I remembered being in so much pain and chaos but then suddenly it all went blank. My memory is now incompetent, and I was left with missing puzzle pieces of my memory.

I was unconscious, I knew that, but I was still aware of most things. Specifically, that my mate was nearby.

I didn't know who it was. I couldn't hear them; I could only feel their touch. I had been skeptical at first, doubting what it really was. But there was a voice, a woman's voice, that echoed in my ear.

"It's your mate," she insisted, and I decided to believe her. That's when she stopped trying to convince me.

I was excited to see when I could finally control my body again. I lost track of time, and I wasn't sure how long I had been out for but eventually, I knew I was able to control myself again.

I felt hot air against my face, someone was next to me. I could finally find out who my so-called "mate" was. My eyes slowly opened, it was very bright, and it stung my eyes. Soon enough my eyes had adjusted to how bright it was. It was Alec asleep right next to me. In disbelief I quickly sat up.

Was it him? HIM? Emphasis on the HIM part. But he was a boy—and yet I didn't feel disappointed. I suppose I didn't mind a boy as a mate. I had never developed a crush on a girl before. Actually, the closest thing I had to a crush was my childhood friend, Grayson.

I remained quiet, thinking about it. I got over the fact it was a man and moved on to the part that it was ALEC. I was sure he hated my guts. But, if he did, why was he in bed next to me now?

I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to sort everything out. It wasn't like he was a bad mate. He was tall, handsome and strong. The problem was me. I wasn't any of those things. Would he be disappointed if he found out? .... did he already know?

His eyes flickered open, and I jumped. He flinched too at the sudden movement. "You're awake?" He asked with a wide smile of relief and my heart fluttered in my chest. My face must've shown my distress because his eyebrows frowned, "What's wrong?"

I whispered it at first. The words not leaving my throat how I wanted them too. He gave me another confused look and I repeated myself, "You're my mate," I mumbled, and his eyes grew wide. My heart froze because of his reaction.

"E-Ethan...I," he hesitated, stuttering over his words. I tensed, staring at him. I knew what he was going to say, I just knew.

"What?" I asked with a broken voice. I couldn't hide how upset this was all making me.

"Ethan, I'm..." He started, "I'm sorry," he finished.

"For what?" I asked him. If he was going to do it, I wanted him to say it with his full chest and mean it. My heart raced and I felt my eyes burning with tears.

"I reject us being mates," he whispered. I nodded, but I didn't understand any of it.

What was wrong with me? So wrong that he felt the need to avoid me and reject me? My chest never felt so small. Have my lungs shrunk? It was hard to breathe.

I stood from the bed, trying to hold back the tears. I turned from him and left the room. In the kitchen and living room sat everyone. Lonni's face lit up to see me awake, but then darkened immediately.

"Ethan?" Lonni asked as she stood up straighter. I shook my head and walked past the kitchen and outside.

I turned into my wolf and ran. My head was aching, I felt numb, it stung every time I moved but I ignored all of it.