The Dance of A Dragon (52)

ETHAN POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At the end of every week for an entire month, we visited that cabin that held the men. Chobin would tell us what they had done and soon—I always said yes, even if it met just killing one of the men. I'd feel sick afterwards but something about it made me feel good.

Irene, however, rejected the offer every single time. She'd look at me petrified after I exited the cabin with blood on my clothes and skin. Her eyes were what help me come back down from the shock of it and made me feel guilt for the men.

"I'm not a monster, Irene." We were sitting in the hot springs.

"I never said you were—I don't think you are!" She quickly said, "but it's scary to watch you cover yourself in blood." Irene's voice was mumbled.

Irene's leg had healed excellently over the month, and we decided to join the troops.

After my run in with Rue, something about it made me want to also be as cool as she was. Taking out the enemy effortlessly and without a single mistake was an art I wanted to understand.

Most of the time, I had never been a fighter. Well, I had definitely fought before—but I wasn't particularly good at it.

Xiuying walked down the path. I snuck up behind her before I tighter my arms around her shoulders. It was as if she had gotten shorter, or perhaps I had grown taller. Either way—I could see over her head.

She let out a yelp before she let out a sigh of relief. She turned quickly and smacked me on my head playfully.

"You can't keep scaring me like that!" She scolded as I shielded myself with a wide smile.

"So what your saying is I've perfected the sneaking technique," I said cockily and sarcastically. She smiled as bit as she patted my head.

"Where is Irene?" She asked as she looked around.

I pointed up above the hill where Irene and a bunch of The Ladies stood. The bad baskets and we're collecting any harvest that had grown. Irene was sitting around with the kids who normally watched The Ladies. She was preforming magic.

Although she didn't use magic often, it looked as if she had improved. She was able to make a kid hover over the ground slightly. Kids lined up form a chance to float. Each time the kids would get higher and higher as the other would giggle.

The next day, Alpha Freddy gathered us and all of his troops to a big meeting outside by his throne.

He stood at the top, his kids to his sides. Everyone bowed before them, Irene and I did the same.

"We have caught wind of a small pack threatening to invade our forest and take our livestock and woods! Today, you will be there to stop them!" He announced. This must've been what the men Rue had taken out were planning to do.

"Yes sir!" The crowd responded in Redsion. I was now fluent in the language—I rarely spoke English anymore. Irene was nearly fluent, but she struggled sometimes.

Once the troops were dismissed, we went to an armory. I quickly went to Chobin with concerns.

"Why are Irene and I needed? I thought we were still in training?" I asked.

"What better than learning out in the field?" Chowlynn responded with her cheerful tone. Her eyes then landed on Irene, "Right! you don't have to go if you don't want to. We might have to kill someone, and I know your uncomfortable with that."

If there was one thing Irene hated more than killing—it was being left behind.

"I'll go," she said with a look of determination.