Riley (14)

ETHANS POV
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It had been a couple of days since I returned. Margret looked over my injuries but there was no need, I was a fast healer. All except for one thing didn't heal.

On the left side of my neck were two bright red and small scratches. I didn't show anyone them, I made sure to keep them hidden. I was embarrassed and I didn't want to talk about it. How close his teeth had gotten to actually ripping through skin. The scratches were small, too, and yet it always seemed to be the small things that took forever to heal.

Regardless, I was 'home', if that's what I could even call it. Irene was lovely to have around, though she was shy for the most part. I also noticed how she wasn't too excited to use her magic, which I didn't judge.

The most annoying part of it all had to be all the questions. The check ins on my mood and how I was feeling was exhausting, but I knew it was only because they cared.

And then there was Alec. We didn't get much time to dwell on our new soul bond—considering the fact I had been taken.

Now we sat alone in the kitchen. Lonni, Leo, and Noah were all busy doing whatever duties needed to be done. Alec had a small break considering he had done the morning patrol around the pack.

We sat silently in the kitchen. He was eating cereal—plain oats, which was really the only cereal we had. He ate out of one of the clay plates made from the kids.

Pottery was a new hobby the kids enjoyed and considering the Alphas and Betas were loved, they received many gifts.

The bowl looked nice, just a little bit uneven.

"How was this morning?" I asked, massaging the joints of my feet, my knees close to my chest. I don't know why I felt so anxious, he was my mate after all.

"It was fine," he answered before he took another bite. I nodded and then the room fell silent again. I picked apart my brain for something more to say but there was nothing. Luckily, he spoke, "I'm really glad that you're home," he smiled.

My heart melted. That's all anyone has been saying for the past three days and yet hearing it from him was the best one. It was calm and he didn't seem like it was his attempt to comfort me, just a simple fact.

Then his eyes darkened as if an unpleasant thought rolled through his head. I would've been confused if he had been the only one.

"Alec, I'm fine," I promised. At least it was true, physically. I still couldn't sleep, though. Every time I closed my eyes I remembered how Grayson looked, the smell of iron sung my throat and how easily his skin ripped from his body. How much of a monster I was.

"You were gone for two months. I know you say you're ok but I don't believe you," he finally spoke about the concerns on his mind. He had been so quiet since I came back. A part of me dreaded this same guilt that seemed to form inside of everyone, but part of me liked that he cared so much.

"Just trust me," I tried to convince him, "I told you everything that happened. I was hit a couple of times—that was the worst of it all," I lied.

I hated how guilty everyone felt because of me. Even if they hadn't expressed their guilt yet, I could see it in their eyes. Things could've definitely played out differently, but I doubt it would've prevented me from being taken in the end. I didn't blame any of them, only myself.

He opened his mouth to speak but there was a knock at the door that distracted us from our conversation. We both looked over at the door and Alec stood. He sighed away whatever had originally been on his mind and he approached the door.