Chapter 4: Gimme Gimme

**Two Days Later**

I was sitting with Beth in her apartment eating dinner. I had finished my last round of vocal auditions that morning and they said they would call by the end of the day with an answer. After the first round of dance and the second round of vocals over the past few days, they had the Katherine callbacks heavily cut down this morning. Today they had us sing 'Watch What Happens' and 'Something To Believe In' in front of a panel of judges. I'm not sure how I did, I mean, they're judges I'm not supposed to be able to tell.. but I mean I don't think—

"Ari!" Beth said snapping in my face. "You've been staring at your phone this entire time. Relax. No matter what happens now, you tried your best."

"I guess so." I frowned. I'm not sure I did my best. After dancing with Ben at the first round of callbacks I— I don't know. I've been pretty shaken up. That was insane. He wasn't at the second or third round but I couldn't shake the thought of him out of my mind.

"Ari! If they don't offer you the part they're insane. You said they narrowed it down to like 5 right? So that's a really really good chance!" Beth said looking at me across the table. I guess she's right. I mean, I had a 1 in 5 shot at Katherine. The odds aren't too bad.

"Beth, but what happens if I get the call and they say no? Or if I just don't get a call. Like what am I going to do. I've literally spent so much time into this. I'm not sure what I'd do if—"

I went silent. Both Beth and I's eyes shot to my phone laying on the table next to me. It rang again.. and again.. and again.

"Are you going to answer?" Beth asked.

"But what if—"

"Oh my gosh!!" Beth said grabbing my phone and answering it. "Hello?  Hi!" She said standing up. I tried to go take the phone from her. "No.  Oh no that won't be necessary.  Yes, she's right here." She smirked handing me the phone.

I rolled my eyes at her and she stuck her tongue out at me. "Hello?"

"Hi! Is this Ariya Walters?" The voice said.

"Yes, This is she."

I had suddenly remembered the call I had gotten weeks ago for the callbacks. So much has happened in those past few weeks. The emotions I felt right now are way different than the ones I felt back then. I remember being with Cam in my kitchen and being both ecstatic and terrified at the same time. But it was different. This had so much more weight to it.

"Hi! I'm calling from the Casting team for The First National Tour of Newsies." She said.

My breathing was unsteady and I felt as if I was going to pass out. My heart was pounding and I closed my eyes trying to concentrate. 'No matter what happens now, you tried your best.' my brain repeated Beth's words. I was terrified of knowing their answer.

"Ms. Walters, we would like to congratulate you and ask if you would be willing to take the role as Katherine in Newsies!" I froze. I could see Beth trying to read my expression. I felt myself tearing up and I started nodding. I looked at Beth in astonishment. This is insane!

"Ms. Walters?" The voice asked.

Realizing she couldn't see me nodding, I responded "I— yes! Definitely! Thank you so much!" I saw Beth smiling at me with a look saying 'see, what did I tell you?' I rolled my eyes at her.

"Perfect! We'll draw up your contract. Can you be down here at 10am tomorrow to discuss it?"

"I'll be there!" I said.

"Great. Thank you Ms. Walters, and Congratulations!"

"Thank you!" I said and hung up.

I stood their dumbfounded for a few seconds. Suddenly, Beth grabbed me in a huge hug and we stumbled backwards.