look but don't touch

𝓛𝓮𝓲𝓵𝓪

An exasperated sigh leaves my mouth as I struggle to keep my eyes open during class.
Normally I'd be way more interested but today James is away on a mandatory teachers convention with a few of his colleagues, and the bland old substitute standing in front of us is getting on my last nerves.

I yawn dramatically as I slouch lower in my seat, pulling the hood of my sweater over my head. I roll my eyes when I see Alec and his friends laughing at some girl's tinder profile in his phone, clearly not giving the substitute any attention either.

It's been so long since I've touched James, and I desperately want him near me again. We've been texting since the morning and I may or may not have sent him some more sexy pictures with that lingerie set he likes on, just so he can see what he's missing while he's gone. My phone buzzes as he replies.

I can't stop thinking about you

I smirk as I imagine his frustrated expression. It must be killing him inside that he can only look but not touch.

"This guy's a joke," Alec whispers leaning over towards me and I quickly shut my phone off.

"Tell me about it." I groan, while the sub tries to turn on the computer to pull up a PowerPoint but fails miserably.

"What do you say we ditch?" He smiles and I contemplate the idea. I have nothing better to do anyways, I'd rather leave than waste my time any longer in this room.

"Sure." I grin and he nods to his friends. One by one we exit the room discreetly, trying not to make it too obvious, not like anyone would notice anyway. Half the class is asleep.

As soon as we step out the campus doors the sun shines on our faces, as a slight breeze causes my spirits to lift immediately. It's a shame that everyone else is inside on a beautiful day like this.

"So listen, I heard what happened with Trevor." He says.

"Who?" I furrow my brows.

"My friend, the one who grabbed your ass." He chuckles and I scoff.

So that's the idiot's name.

"It's no big deal, Ja-I mean Anderson took care of it." I say quickly and he nods.

"I heard he got expelled." He tells me and I raise a brow. I didn't think they'd punish a guy that harshly for touching a girl without her permission. I mean, when do they ever?

"Anderson must like you, cause he definitely pulled a few strings for that." Alec jokes.

Oh, you have no idea.

"So where are we going?" I ask him, changing the subject.

"My favorite all you can eat diner, they have the best pancakes."

"You had me at all you can eat." I chuckle.

•••

"So after I buy her dinner and drinks she says she has to go because her boyfriend is waiting for her at home." Alec laughs and I can't help but join in.

"Wow, that is probably the worse date ever." I shake my head and he nods for me to tell him mine. I haven't really gone on any dates since I found out my ex Brian was cheating on me with my best friend.

A shiver runs up my spine as I think of the nasty fight we had.

Me confronting him and him denying everything.

He wouldn't admit anything until I showed him what I had done with Reign. The girl who betrayed our friendship of six years over some pathetic guy. The sound of him yelling in shock when he saw her tied up and beaten to a pulp in my basement, is burned into my brain. I still remember the sound of the iron rod striking her skin as I hit her repeatedly. The dark red blood all over my clothes after I was done. Serves her right for stabbing me in the back.

He told me I was crazy.

That I was psychotic.

I needed "help".

If it weren't for the gun in my garage he would've kept going.

I couldn't risk him telling anybody so I did what I had to do. I got rid of both of them in an efficient way and left town.
Since that day I haven't looked back.

I clear my throat when I remember Alec is still in front of me, and let out a breath.

"I went out with this guy and towards the end he asked me if I could put the bill on my card since his was "lost." I say and Alec chuckles at the false story I made up.
He's not ready for the truth.

Once we're done with our food he walks me back to my dorm and I realize that the sun is just starting to set. The sky is a beautiful warm orange color and suddenly I feel at ease.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I say and he nods before licking his lips.

"Yeah,"

I haven't realized how close he is to me until he hands me my sweater which I took off in his car. He places it on my shoulders. He tucks a strand of my messy hair behind my ear. It's mostly quiet except for the soft rumble of a car passing my every now and then.

When he leans in to kiss me, I don't register it until I start kissing him back. He grabs my waist and deepens the kiss and I let him. I don't know what's gotten into me, maybe it's James being gone or just the fact that Alec is a damn good kisser.

"I've been wanting to do that ever since I first saw you." He mumbles.

"Alec- I think you have the wrong idea." I say and his smile fades.

"This wasn't a date?"

"No, I thought you just wanted to hang?" I chuckle and he laughs before running a hand through his hair embarrassingly.

"Well-I feel like an idiot now."

"It's okay, I'll forget about it by tomorrow." I say to make him feel better but it actually comes out worse than I intended.

"That bad, huh?" He jokes and I nudge his shoulder.

"Cut it out, you know what I mean."

"Alright, I'll try to work on it for next time." He teases and I roll my eyes as he gets back in his car and drives away.