The "Death" of Eric Derekson

Eric Derekson's journey was a miraculous surprise, while also being somewhat expected. It all began on one fine day, shortly after Eric had been in some commercials for his father, Derek Derekson's business. Eric, being a young, anxious and marginally traumatized man, had struggled with filming the commercials, which had greatly irritated his father Derek.

The stubborn businessman had complained that Eric would never amount to anything, and how he wished that he could swap him out with any one of his numerous brothers, who had all tragically been lost in a fatal bus accident. After some threats to force Eric to go back to college, and empty complaints about how he wished he could get the boy off his hands, Eric had, had enough.

Eric Derekson was determined to show his father that he could be good too! He might not be the same man that some of his brothers were, but he could be just enough to make his father proud. So, Eric enrolled himself in some self confidence courses, and worked very closely with a nice lady named Carla.

Carla was very patient with Eric and over several weeks, they slowly boosted his confidence and self worth. Eventually she asked him, "What would you like to do to show your dad how much you've improved?"

Eric fidgeted nervously with the hem of his shirt. "Uh, I... I uh, I want to try paragliding. I've always uh, wanted too! I think um, I think I could uh, handle it! I think uh, I think I can um, do it!"

Carla, who didn't believe for one second that Eric was cursed with bad luck, agreed that paragliding was fairly safe, and something Eric would be able to get into that would help his self esteem. She helped Eric enroll into a class where he was taught about paragliding, and the first day that he was actually going to go up, he invited his father Derek along to watch.

Everything was in place. Everything should have been fine.

Unfortunately that morning, there had been a mix up by the paragliding instructor. He had gotten together one of his best quality paragliders, made sure it was set up properly and in good condition. He had double checked the reserve parachute, and inspected the harness. Then, as he was heading out the door, instead of grabbing the paraglider that he had meticulously checked, he grabbed the one beside it. One that he had, had sitting in his office, awaiting repairs.

Derek and Eric met the instructor on a crest over looking Death Gulch. "Uh..." Eric had looked down into the deep, unforgiving crevasse. "Death Gulch? Are... uh are you sure this is a good idea?" He asked the instructor before his eyes widened and he waved his hands. "Not that I'm questioning you! You know what you're talking about! You're the instructor here!"

The instructor simply nodded his head as he helped Eric into his harness. "We come up here for the wind. It won't be a problem. You're gonna get up, float around and land back over here with us. If something happens you float down there, we'll come down and get ya! It's mid day so all the nasty things down there are asleep. No problem."

"No... problem." Eric repeated.

"Heh heh heh." Derek chuckled. "Second thoughts Eric? I knew you couldn't handle this."

Eric shook his head. "I uh... I can do this!"

The instructor gave Eric some last minute reminders and tips, and they watched Eric run along on his prosthetic feet before launching into the air. Eric grinned, a large genuine smile, until he heard a crack. Looking up, he could see the rods of his paraglider bending, which he was fairly sure wasn't supposed to happen, and flaps of fabric were waving around. Soon after, he could hear the instructor screaming frantically, and he knew that something was very wrong.

Eric struggled to turn the paraglider around, but the rods were bending more and more, his wing beginning to sag. As he approached the edge of the cliff, he could tell he wasn't going to make it, but there was his dad, right at the edge.