History Repeating

Hard. That's what this is. Grams keeps pushing me to do magic. She says it's good for me to do magic because it helps heal me. I don't understand at all. She always goes on about how I'm the last. The last of my kind. The thing is she says that I have been the last since the vampires were created. She thinks that I have been before then too. She says I'm ancient. That I have been around for such along time, but that I'm not immortal. I can die just like everyone else but I can stay young and live for a very long time. She doesn't understand it. I don't get what I am.

She thinks that if I wanted I could raise the dead. She says that if I could do that, then I only could do it so many times before it kills me or someone I love. She thinks the reason that I'm always born with the doppelgängers is because it was the only way the witches knew how to make me survive and not be with him. Grams knows that I hate the witches, yet she still cares for me like I'm her own. She cares for me more than Bonnie. She treats me as her daughter. I don't understand at all, but she says that she was appointed as my guardian. Then when the day comes, Bonnie will be my guardian. I try to remember my other guardians or memories, but I never can and it upsets me.

"Grams... why can't I remember?" As I looked over at her, I saw her freeze.

"Katerina, you can't remember because the memories of them are painful for you."

"Isn't there any good memories?" As I spoke she looked at me sadly.

"Yes, but the bad memory covers all the good ones." I felt tears escape my eyes as she spoke.

"Grams, am I evil? Why won't they ever let me be with him? I just know that he needs me! I love him..." I felt the tears run down my face faster and faster. I then felt her arms around me, pulling me to her chest.

"Shhh, it's going to be okay. I'm here, I'm not gonna leave you, Darling. Maybe one day soon, one day soon.... But, for now you have to stay here with me. Promise me, promise you won't leave this house." As the tears kept going I couldn't help but nod.

"When can I leave?" As I managed to get the question out, I felt her body tense.

"You can leave on your 18th birthday or the day I die. I just don't want you to get hurt, promise me you will stay safe." Again, I nodded to her promise for confirmation.