Auctioneer

Alright guys, this is one of those cringey ones I wrote in high school. I'm sorry in advance. Into noy own photo.

We arrive at the sale site early as always. The sun has yet to come up and I wish I was still in my bed. My parents, my brother Rick, and I get out of the car. Most of my parents few employees are already here, finishing what we couldn't last night. Actually the only employees I don't see are the Dawn brothers, but they're, ironically, always late. There's three of them and my mother only keeps them around because they're young and after 10am they are hard workers. They can also lift the things that most of the older men can't. My brother and I could never do it alone. Sometimes I do wish my mom would find better help though, having arrogant guys around can be hard to deal with, especially since they're my age, well the youngest is twenty one and the oldest is twenty-five, at twenty-two I fit perfectly in.

You would think the oldest and my brother would get along best, since they are the same age, but Rick likes the younger two, Steve and Jake, more. Damen, the oldest, would rather flirt with all the pretty girls that come around. I put the thoughts of them aside and get to work. We're in a two story house, plus a basement. We pretty much emptied the basement, it was almost empty anyways and really creepy. I watch as everyone does last minute organizing and sets up the checkout table. An hour in I hear the front door burst open and an oddly cheerful Damen, with two boxes I can only imagine carrying donuts, waltz in. Damen sits the box down and his two brothers drag themselves in looking more tired than usual.

"Food for all" Damen calls and steps away from the table as people slowly swarm it. I stand next to his brothers as they try to wake up.

"What's with Damen?" I ask and they just shrug.

"Not completely sure, but he made us get up at 3 am so we could drive to a real doughnut shop." Steve says sipping a large coffee.

"It might be because he broke up with his girlfriend on Tuesday" Jake offers

"He had a girlfriend?" I ask noting how he always flirts with everyone , or maybe he's just good at sales.

"Yeah, it was getting serious to, he won't say what happened, but he's been happy like this since Thursday." I shrug and go back to work, ignoring the doughnuts. As people start arriving things go back to normal. I work on moving things around as people pick things up, keeping things looking nice. Damen stands around flirting and every once in a while lifting furniture.

I stand in a corner taking a drink of water, my first pause since the doughnuts hours ago. I watch my mom stop Damen and ask him to go get an expensive item we keep downstairs. He nods and runs off. We keep expensive items away from the public until someone is interested. I see Damen make it to the door of the basement only to be stopped by a young women who I've noticed hanging around Damen all morning. I watch as she leans in closer to him.

I shake my head, how inappropriate. I take my water and walk away. I try to move past the two subtly, but Damen grabs my arm. His smile looks relieved and I already know what's coming. I start to shake my head but he's cheesy begging smile stopped.

"Sassy," I don't bother to correct my name to Sally as I usually do. "Your mom sold the tea set. Will you start packing it up?" I hear a start of a sigh and I finish it "I have to show, Ali, her where something is" I don't buy a word but open the basement door anyways. Secretly I'm happy to get away from people but I won't let him know that. I hear him call a thank you before closing the door on me.

I take the last step and I'm submerged in darkness. I feel my way to the light switch. A soft red glow is all that I get. Damen claimed this morning we were out of regular bulbs, but I think he just wanted to use the red one. I put on the gloves and carefully go through the tea set before deciding how many boxes I will need. I decide on three, take the gloves off, and go into the next room that only contains boxes and paper, leaving the delicate tea set behind.