Answers

Chapter 12

I sit on my bed with the snakey books sitting in front of me. The glowing red snake eyes stare back at me as I scrutinize the ancient book. At first I am uneasy to open it. The air around me feels surprisingly still.

As I pull open the cover a powerful gust of wind throws my bedroom window open, sending the papers on my desk to scatter the room like large snowflakes.

The book turns pages with the wind. It comes to stop on a page with a picture of Leonardo Da Vinci's human diagram. Next to that is a title. "Forever Young". Under the title is a description. 'Feeling old? No problem with this one, two step solution!'

The page goes on to explain how to steal a person's youth for yourself. Holy crap! That's what happened to Travis! I draw myself closer to the book and continue reading. 'Begin by seperate by the soul from the body. Absorb the souls and brew the remains for other spells in this book. Enjoy! You already look younger!'

Wow, what a sick book. I look over at my alarm clock and realize it is well into the middle of the night. I decide to switch off the light and do more investigating tomorrow. I need more time. I need more information before anything can be done. For Travis.

I close my eyes and see Travis' bright blue eyes looking at me. He smiles with his eyes and I looks around to find that we are in the meadow. He tells me to follow him into the woods and I do, but he's moving too fast. I'm falling behind further and further behind him the deeper I go in. Before I know it he's out of sight.

"Travis? Travis! Travis, where are you?!" I call out. I'm racing through the woods now. Why do I feel so out of breath?

I look down and see my feet aren't touching the ground. My heart is pounding hard in my chest. When my head comes up I'm face to face with an elderly looking woman holding me by the neck.

"I've got unfinished business," she snarls.

Squirming in her grip I struggle to yell for help. "Shh shh shh, my dear. There's no one to hear you scream," she coos brushing a wrinkly hand over my hair. I turn my head to the side but she pulls my chin harshly back to face her again. I wince in pain as I start to feel really light. But the pain, it hurts so much. I realize my soul is being ripped from my body!

My necklace glimmers in the moonlight. I hear her gasp, "No! Not him! Get that away from me!"

Suddenly I feel my fleshy body fall to the ground--landing on soft carpet. "Ouch!" I exclaim landing with a this. I put a hand over my racing heart. I was just a dream. Just a dream. I let a sigh of relied and look around to see sun pouring in through the cracks in my curtains.

Getting up I see two snakes eyes books on my ed. "I better get back to Travis," I say aloud as I pull on some clothes. The snake with the white eyes hangs around my neck protectively.

*****

Upon entering the meadow I see Travis greet my with his adorable smile. "Find anything," he asks immediately.

"You bet! But you might want to sit down for this."

We sit beneath a bare tree with a few colored leaves, which is strange given that every other tree is completely naked. I bring him up to speed on what I found in the ruby snake eyes book. Travis stares at the book solemnly.

"Since your soul is here and not sucked oh into Agatha, your body must still be around," I finish. With that he turns his icy blue eyes on me. Hope washes over his eyes.

"You really think we can do this? Find my body after all these years?"

"Anything is possible here in the meadow," I reply reassuringly giving him a small smile.