The Woods

Chapter 3

When I wake up I see the sun high in the sky through the window. It must be noon. Aunty is sitting next to me filling some paper work out on a chewed up clip board. After Aunty finishes signing the release forms, she walks over to a desk and hands the hospital receptionist the clip board.

"Sorry for your loss," the receptionist tells Aunty and hands her a mortuary business card. Aunty looks down at the card, grief stricken.

I walk over towards the desk. I thank the receptionist and lead my aunt out by the arm. We make our way to Aunty's red Nissan. We sit on her faded zebra seat covers a while, letting the night's events sink in before we drive off from the hospital parking lot.

The drive home is quiet. Neither of us says a word. As I look at the trees quizzing by, I notice how dull and lifeless they look. I suddenly feel sad all over again, but we're home now.

I get out of the car and I am tired and drenched from a the tears. Each tear, a scream I want to let out. I place a hand on top of the car door, reluctant to go inside. Uncle Tony was one of the only people in my life that truly cared for me. I never thought it was possible to feel lonelier than I do in this moment.

My aunt and I stayed home from work and school, seeing as we're emotionally jacked up right now. We're high very distant at the moment. I can only imagine how Aunty must feel. Pa was the love of her life. Losing someone you love so much is like losing a part of yourself.

I take deep breath and follow my aunt into the house. She goes straight for her room and closes the door. I plop myself on the little blue couch in the living room. I stare at the ceiling trying to make sense of the funeral soon to come. Turning in my side in a state of depression, I use my arms as a pillow under my head. I feel a cold metallic object fall in my hand and realize that I am still wearing the charm Mr. Huey gave to me yesterday.

I look down at the serpent's white eyes and feel oddly energized. I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday but I don't care. With all the strength left in my body I decide to get up from where I lay on bed and start running out the door. I don't know where I'm going, but I don't stop. I'm in the woods. The trees and wind slap at my face as I dash through the field. I run until there are no more tears left to fall and I collapse from exhaustion.

Suddenly, I see something, a light figure passing through the trees. I move closer, now far from the trails.

"Hello," a voice pipes from behind.

I jump and my heart skips a beat. I turn around to see a ghostly being. I stick out a hand to touch the apparition but it erupts into a fog. A little dizzy now, the world spins and I fall. The light leaves and all I see is black.

*******

As I return to consciousness, my eyes struggle to open. The earth is moist beneath my fingers.

"What happened?" I whisper to myself trying to get up. I put a hand to my throbbing head and squeeze my eyes. Everything's a little fuzzy and as I recall what I'm doing in the woods. Oh yeah! Pa's gone and I'm lost in the woods. Great! This week just keeps getting better.

I fall to the earth on my back again, not wanting to get up. But then I hear something that sounds like light footsteps in the damp leaves.

I try to ignore it but then a hard voice rings in my ears. "Run! Leave at once! Go! Run! It's not safe!" the voice frantically yells.

I try to make sense of what is going on but all I can manage is to get up and start running again. My legs feel like jello as my weight presses down on me.

Still confused about what happened, I never stop until I get to my bed and lock the door behind me. I pull the sheets over my head and pray for the voices to stop yelling.