The Fifth Stage

"I don't know, dude. It's been like two weeks and I still haven't heard from him. But, to be honest, it's good that I haven't heard from him," she said as she sat on the countertop in the kitchen across from her friend.
"Have you not heard from her since...?" her friend asked, hesitant to finish off her sentence.
"No. I think she knows and I think he told her."
"Damn. I'm sorry, babe."
"It's okay. I expect it from her. I mean, she trusted me and I broke her trust."

"But you were trying to bring the two of them together. Do you know how much balls you have to have to do something that selfless?"
"I care about the both of them," she said, grinning sheepishly. "I just wanted them to be happy. But I ruined things for the both of them. I mean, I get why she is mad, but I don't understand why he won't talk to me."

"Maybe he feels bad for blabbing?" her friend suggested.
"Maybe. Or maybe he's upset with me and doesn't even have the balls to confront me about it," she said.
"What are you going to do when you meet up with the two of them?" her friend asked inquisitively.
"Oh, I'm not doing that anymore. I spoke to Kash when I was having a meltdown because of him. We established that the meeting was what got me so down."

"You had a meltdown?"
"When I got home after the sleepover, I ended up balling my eyes out. First time I understood what musicians meant when they sang about not eating or sleeping during a heartbreak."
"Why didn't you call me?" her friend asked, hugging her.
"I didn't tell anyone. Kash and my cousin noticed and they confronted me about it."
"Well, at least you're never seeing him again."
"I kinda wish I could. I'm left in the dark and I would like to know why. What have I done wrong to deserve his silence?"

"I mean, we could make it happen. I'm still friends with him. Besides, we were still meant to go out together," her friend suggested.
"Do you think it's a good idea, though?"
"I really don't, but if you want me to make it happen, I can."
"I would rather get it over and done with."
"I thought telling him that you liked him would do the trick."
"Me too. But his reaction was not something I was prepared for."
"True," her friend agreed.

Later on that day, her friend responded to something he posted on Snapchat. She then decided to remind him of the promise he'd made her concerning their plans to go out together. He blatantly ignored her and never responded.

"Why would he do that? You guys were so close," she said shocked.
"I don't know. Maybe it's because I took forever to respond to his message," her friend replied, confusion clouding her face.
"Can't be. No matter how long you take to respond to his message, he always answers swiftly," she said.
"True."
"So then why is he doing this?"

After a long hesitation, her friend asked,"Did you tell him that I was supposed to go with you guys when you still had plans to bring the two of them together at the mall?"
"Yes, why?"
"That's why he won't talk to me. He probably thinks I have everything to do with your situation," her friend said.
"That's such a dick move. Why didn't he fucking ask? And to ruin a friendship just because he wasn't sure isn't cool," she fumed.
"Dude, it's okay. It doesn't matter," her friend shrugged it off.

But she could tell that it wasn't okay. She was suddenly overcome by overprotectiveness for her friend.
"Remember how I was telling you that my cousin told me that he was playing with my emotions all along and that even that realisation didn't make me stop loving him?" she said, recalling her conversation with her cousin. He was honestly the one person who helped her take the first step in moving past her pain.
"Yeah?" her friend said.
"I think this is what I needed. Something to show me how selfish he really is in order to help me forget about him. And to be honest, I think it worked. From now on, you'll never hear me say one good thing about him. And I mean it."