Thinking Out Loud

"Right, so this is your room. I've put a load of towels and toiletries in the bathroom. If there's anything else you need, let me know."

"Awh, thanks Zoe. You're such a good host." Dianne followed Joe into the large double bedroom, taking in the beautiful décor.

"Right, sleep well, guys. See you in the morning."

"Night, Zoe."

Dianne hauled her bag onto the bed, unzipping it and pulling out her toiletries and pyjamas. She watched as Joe took off his t-shirt and jeans, folding them into his bag.

"Can I use the bathroom first?" he asked. "I won't be long."

Dianne nodded. "Of course."

Joe walked into the bathroom and closed the door. Dianne finished getting her things organized and began to change for bed. Even after so many years, it was always a little unnerving to stay with a partner's family. It wasn't the same with Zoe, she was Joe's sister and she knew about their relationship long before most people, but there was still a weird underlying understanding of 'I know you're sleeping with my brother'. Maybe it was something about growing up. Something about being allowed to share a double bed with someone. Being allowed to have the door closed. It still felt weird.

"You okay?" Joe asked as he walked back into the room. "You looked properly lost then."

Dianne shrugged. "I was a bit. Just... I don't know. It's strange. I'm almost 30 years old and I still feel weird meeting the family."

Joe chuckled. "Really?"

Dianne nodded. "Yeah. I don't know. It's just... it makes me nervous."

Joe walked closer to her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Well, you don't need to worry" he said sweetly. "They love you. My whole family adore you. They think you're great." He paused for a moment, looking into his girlfriend's brown eyes. "And I do too, by the way."

Dianne smiled. "Thank you. That's nice to hear."

Picking up her toiletries, she walked into the bathroom and got ready for bed. Joe turned off the main light in the room and moved Dianne's suitcase to the floor. Switching on the lamp on the bedside table, he pulled back the covers and climbed in.

"Alright?" Dianne asked as she closed the bathroom door behind her.

Joe looked up at her, covers pulled up to his chin. He settled back into the pillow and sighed. "Honestly, this bed is so comfy. Zoe and Alfie actually got me the exact same mattress topper and pillows when I moved, but this is like sleeping on a cloud."

Dianne walked around the bed and climbed into her own side. Settling into the softness, she turned to Joe and smiled.

"Amazing."

The two of them laid for a minute enjoying the comfort.

"This house is amazing" Dianne said quietly. "Zoe's got a really good eye for, like, décor and stuff. It's like walking through one of those interior design magazines."

"She has" Joe agreed. "She's always been good at this stuff. She helped me with my place, too. But, yeah, this house is incredible. I'd love to have somewhere like this in the future. Maybe not as big, but it always feels so homely and comfortable. Not like their old house. That was a nightmare."

"I know." That evening, Zoe and Alfie had explained all of the dramas that had come with having a home everyone recognized. People outside the gates, asking to come in, parents lifting their kids up to get a better view. It sounded like an absolute nightmare. "I can't imagine what it must have been like for them."