Part Three: Painful Bargain

The guard and I walk side by side. This place has proven itself to be bigger than I thought. It houses more than just the critically injured. There's a vehicle depot, where old tanks and wrecked warthogs are restored. Weapon design specialists find new ways of a faster shield recharge, lighter, more durable armor, and even new abilities. There's even a whole division dedicated to science and another for combat.

We both turn into a huge room and stop at the door to observe. "After weeks of training and tests of your body, you are finally moving up in the facility. Hand to hand combat is now your physical therapy. No more cradling your wounds. Next will be weapon and ordinance usage. After that you should be driving. Careful though, new technologies can be hard for someone like you to understand." The Guard, otherwise known as Bryson Philip, explains.

"When will I advance to weapon combat?" I ask. He laughs, "In a few weeks if necessary. But you still have a ways to go. Don't be so eager, take your time, the people you'll be going against have been at it for quite some time now." "Good, so have I. Which is why I'm more in the line of tomorrow." I tell him as I move in front of the combat zone.

Philip just smiles as if I am a newcomer in the UNSC. "Don't believe me. Fine. I'll take it as a challenge." I say glaring a straight face at his smile. "I'll fight anyone who thinks they can beat me!" I yell out to all the marines in training. They immediately stop, looking at the strange face walking to the center of the combat zone.

It's silent for a while. No one says a thing but study their target. That is until a voice calls out, "I'll do it!" A young kid yells out from the corner. "But, I don't win without some kind of reward." Philip looks at me with annoyance. He doesn't think I will fare well. "Okay, what's your bid?" I say turning my head towards him.

As I walk around the room the others smile like I'm going to get my ass kicked. "If I win you join me and my crew... Well mainly me. In a little get together." he says extending his arms around his friends. "Alright." I say walking to the far side of the combat zone. "Wait a minute. What do you want?" he asks. He's a cocky bastard, but fare. "All I want is a chance to kick you, and your friend's, ass." I reply as he steps into the combat zone.

Everyone gathers around the combat zone, looking through glass windows in the surrounding room as we begin. He keeps his distance as I move closer and closer. I increase my speed a little at a time so it's almost unnoticeable. He takes a swing and I let him hit me about a dozen times more or so. Now, I know his strength.

I take a couple steps back and wipe my lip. Blood covers my hand as he loosens his knuckles from the constant punching of my face and body. He races towards me and knees my gut while striking my back. The kid's smile stretches across his face. His throat let's a small chuckle escape as I get back up. This, will not go unnoticed.

My back pops when I turn to one side with my upper half only. I roll my jaw and loosen the muscle. Then I stand up straight and wipe more blood, this time from my nose and lip. "My turn." a grin prints itself on my face. My eyes already see him switching to a defensive stance. Immediately I spot the weak point in his left ribs. The way he slumps over to that side suggests he has either an old, not completely healed, wound or something fresh from an earlier fight.

He takes a couple steps back and raises his fists. I walk towards him, gradually increasing my speed like done before. When I get close enough I lunge at him and thrust my knee up. Everything he did to me I will do ten times worse. I strike him in the gut and he falls to the ground a few feet back. He gets about half way up as I run to him, kneeing him in the face and grabbing his arm before he is sent flying away.

His breathing is heavy and empty. "What's wrong, tired?" I mock. "Just... Catching my breath." he lies. "Good," I scoff, "Cause I'm not done yet." I dig my fingers into his clothing and hold him up off the ground. He looks scared as we stare at each others faces. His now without a smile and mine simply a devilish grin. I can see his pupils widen and his pulse accelerates through my hands. My eyes heat up and with it comes a slight color change barely noticeable. Everything I see is now a tint of orange.