Part Five: Haven't Seen 'Em

My decision to stay was made about a week ago. It took seeing Philip, hearing the truth, and then hours of thinking it over to make the final choice. I must admit it's odd. My schedule is made for me before the day begins. That's no problem, however, I have always had plans made without me knowing. But what is different is the fact that they won't let me out at certain hours. Even when I'm out I am too go to specific places only. Wondering aimlessly around is inexcusable. Though the Director shouldn't have a worry, he and I both know I don't disobey any orders without a good reason.

A woman walks swiftly out the door and almost runs into a group of soldiers when she glances back to the door. I stand in the doorway which she runs from. Unfortunately, the Director and his sidekick was nearby and came to check on the commotion. "Mrs Marie, what seems to be a matter?" the Counselor asks. She stops right in front of them. I get a glare from the Director, so I go back inside the room and wait patiently for their conversation to end.

Five minutes later the Director comes in, the Counselor is close behind. "You offered to show Mrs Marie what it feels like to loose both an eye and an arm?" the Counselor asks. I reply, "Yes sir." "Are you aware this frightened Mrs Marie?" the Counselor asks me but the Director butts in. "What the Counselor means to say is, why did you offer that?" The Director seems more interested in my reasoning than the psychologist. "Sir, she made a reference towards my injuries, something about how they make me feel. So I offered to cut off a couple parts. I told her she could ask after knowing herself." I say.

A faint smile exposes itself on the Director's face. "Counselor, tell Mrs Marie she can have her office back without the danger. The next session will be her last... I think we are done here." he explains as he steps out the door, "We will resume your training at oh two hundred hours." I stand and reply, "Sir yes sir." Then we all leave the office. As I exit the office I pass Mrs Marie. She tries to ignore me, but when I lift my hand to scratch around the small portion of metal plates on the back of my head she jumps with a gasp. Relax doctor. The Counselor glances back, but ignores her idiocy.

I make my way to the docking bay. Soldiers pass by in formation and FILSS occasionally makes an announcement. When I get to docking bay four I am high above the landing pads. My leather combat boots with a steel toe make an echo as I step across a catwalk. Below me men work to clear crates from a recent shipment of supplies.

As they slave away a pelican slowly makes it's way to an empty landing pad. Soldiers pour out the back. Within the group of soldiers is a badly injured man and two Spartans. One has green CQB armor with a pink stripe on his leg. The other has standard MJOLNIR Mark V armor with white as his primary color and blue on each of his shoulders. Spartans? I was unaware there were other Spartans on board. I think as they both head for the Director, who leads them out a door.

The last man to leave the pelican is Philip. He says farewell to the pilot, who makes a snappy reply before leaving his side. Philip's armor is filthy. By the looks of it he has blood all down his left side. I climb onto the railing of the catwalk and balance myself. Philip speaks with a medical officer who's team is catering to the injured man. I leap off the railing and catch a chain with my robotic hand. Then I quickly slide down to the ground below.

My landing is a little hard, but I took most the weight with my robotic leg so everything is fine. Philip turns back at the sound of my feet hitting the floor. When he sees me he finishes his conversation with the medic and walks over. There really is a lot of blood on his left side. "Is that yours?" I ask. He turns his side in attempt to see all the blood, "Actually it's David's. He's the guy who just bled out on the gurney over there."

Suddenly, things get awkward for him. He isn't as accustomed to death as I am. I can tell by the way he cares for the young kid. "War brings death," I put my hand on his shoulder, "you'll get used to it." "Is that a good thing cause I don't want to." he replies. I lift my hand off his shoulder in a bit of shock. Is this the way others see it? Sad, hurtful, emotionally discomforting? I never thought of it that way. I always seen it like a way of life. But like I said, he'll get used to it, whether he wants to or not. Its war, you have no choice.