Home Sweet Home

They didn't allow me to see her for the next couple of days until she was well enough to be discharged. They didn't let me in anyway, I had to wait for Nick to get there before they let me in. Yeah sure, like I'd suddenly open fire in a medical ward. Okay maybe I would, if there's a psycho in there trying to kill the patients. Then yes I would.

"I'm sorry." She said, and nearly kills me again. Please stop using that sad voice, you're killing me Alix. She's walking with me, bag in hand. But I highly suspect she's using her ability to be able to carry it. I dunno, getting the air to push it up like having little elves carrying them for you? In any case, they were bulging with stuff.

"Why?" I asked stupidly, even though I knew exactly what she was going to say in response. I braced myself.

"I almost killed you. And yeah, I know that you can't die, but radiation kills everything. I could've killed Father too. I'm so sorry Wade." She said, and I had this strong urge to just hug her. But the last time I did that, I got burned. And especially since Nick Fuckface told me no intimacy. Lovely.

That's the fourth time you used that word.

"I'm pretty sure I used it more than four times." I reply. Right in front of Alix. Right. Beautiful.

You're only replacing that word so that I wouldn't mock you.

"Shut up brain." This time round I seriously found the inability to give a shit about who was in front of me when I answered myself.

"Hey Wade? Do you think you could, you know, talk to me instead of answering yourself? I get the feeling that you're too lonely to remember how to converse properly with other people." She says, and I found myself staring into round orbs of a storm. Okay, bad expression.

EYES. They're called EYES.

"My brain is yelling at me for describing your eyes as stormballs." I said while trying out her suggestion, and she laughed. Finally she cracked a smile. It's been a while since I saw it.

"Stormballs. There can't possibly be a better way of describing them." Alix responds between giggles. I smiled for the first time in a while. We keep walking.

"You got a car or are we walking?" She asked, and I shrug.

"If I decide to steal a company car, yes. But if I want to avoid death, no." Alix's laughing again. I like her laugh. It's a pretty sound.

And here comes Mr sappy. What, are you going to compliment her hair this time?

"Your laugh is pretty." I say without thinking. So much for trying not to sound sappy. Alix smiled this time, and it feels strange for me not to reach for her hand. I stuff them into my pockets instead.

"Thank you." She says, and I could feel something reaching for my arm. Oh hell no.

"Your biological father says no."

"But my hands are cold! Seriously, here." She reaches up to place them on my neck. She's right, her hands are nearly frozen solid. I yelp in surprise. "Told you." She teases, running off with a squeal when I dropped snow on her head as revenge.

*** *** ***

Let's conceal the pain with smiles.

Because we understand what it means to meet each other.

We all know about the strength to win,

So don't ever forget, don't be confused.

That's right, until we reach the promised day.