Long Night Tonight

I groaned. I did that a lot, didn't I? My entire body ached. I found myself kneeling on one knee, crouched, with a terribly bloody blade in one hand like it was there to keep me upright. Stupid mission. Stupid SHIELD. Stupid everything. I hate my job. Except the killing. That is pretty fun. But not the people. I don't like walking into the War-Preventing War room and having everybody shut up. I don't like getting injured either. I hate pain. And I hate this world. A little. Or a lot. Depends on who I'm with at the time. Sadly, I'm not with anyone. It's a Solo where you know, 'Just Send Deadpool And We Can All Go Home Early' thing happens. Wish I could go home loaded in cash feeling like a homeless guy with an overloaded grocery cart like he just raided a Salvation Army dumpster.

That was a mixed metaphor and I don't even know what you meant.

"Good. I didn't intend on letting you anyway." I sighed and stood up, drawing out a cleaver someone had lodged in my stomach and I hadn't bothered to remove earlier on. It hurt like a b*tch and I wished Alix was around to speed up the healing. No such luck.

"Right. Back to HQ." I say and walk back, bringing back the cover-up for a sad lonely life. A stupid grin. A stupid bloody blade. Stupid stupid stupid. I had to kick a guy aside to leave the warehouse. Stupid body. Stupid mission. Stupid everything. At least there's fresh air now, at least for me. But I'm tracking bloody footsteps behind me, which in hindsight isn't a very good idea. And so my blood-tracking-idiotic self trudged on, back to the dammed HQ.

Hey, least you'd get to see Alix again.

"Point made. Let's hurry, I hate being out here and covered in blood, I might freeze."

*** *** ***

I heard it loud "I wait to hear the sound"

"That soon would paint my world up and down."

"Someone please I'm begging, take me far away from the constant fear"

"I'm so alone here!"

*** *** ***

"You sure you don't want me to fix that gaping hole in your stomach?" Alix pressed again, and I shook my head. I could already feel my body mending itself.

"Awful lot of bullet holes though. And I think I see one lodged in your shoulder." Alix was actually insisting on helping out. Not that I'm complaining, the bullet stuck in my shoulder does irritate me a fair bit. Okay, fine, it's painful. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have her remove the bullet.

"Yeah. Hey that bullet's annoying me, think you could remove that?" She just rolled her eyes and laughed. One hand on my shoulder, a sharp pain, then Alix was holding onto the bullet and examining it. She was very obviously fascinated by it.

"You know this bullet is really well made? It has engravings and stuff."

"Oh, really?"

"Exactly how long are you going to take to finish all that paperwork? I can't get back into your apartment without you. You have the key." I stared back at the pile of papers I had to deal with, and I nearly slammed my head against the table.

"Probably a good five hours."

"Do you think it'd speed up if I healed you? I'm serious. The injuries are terrible. You're bleeding all over the table."

"Not the first time I've done that. They've gotten used to it." I say almost bitterly. She rolled her eyes again, hand on my shoulder. I felt another sharp jab.

"Ow! Why did you do that?"

"Look, it's hard to focus with your healing factor doing its thing now shut up and let me give you a hand." I groaned and leaned back. She's stubborn, isn't she.