Chapter 1. "A girl?"

"It's a girl," was all I heard before I opened my eyes. Everything was a little blurry. Ashlyn, my name is Ashlyn I thought. I was laying down on something cold, on metal. Looking down upon me was a beautiful face, a beautiful face that belonged to a blond boy. I furrowed my eyebrows as I studied the boys face.

       "Here," he said standing up from his crouched position, "take my hand," I did as he asked as I tried to find my balance, however I got dizzy and began to fall over backwards, I felt myself plummet, gasping, as I flailed my arms, trying to take care of myself. The blond boy couldn't catch me, however another boy behind me could, my breath was slightly uneven with fear and confusion. I looked behind me to a boy much older and who was making an attempt at smiling with his crooked yellow teeth. I took the blonde boys hand in mine again and I used it to stand up next to him, feeling safer near him. "I'm Newt," He announced once my breathing slowed down a little, it probably seemed as if I was fine even though I didn't feel fine. "And this here is Gally," he said motioning to the yellow-toothed boy. "and these are the gladers." I hadn't noticed the dozens of boys towering above me, wholey oh my goodness. There was a wall of them outside of this thing I was in. It looked like the rows and rows of boys could go on for miles and miles. 

       "Wholey..." I whispered. The boys outside of the box appeared to be of no similarity. They were all shapes and sizes although they seemed to be all around the same age group, 14-18. Suddenly it hit me, I didn't know how old I was. I didn't remember my friends or family. I didn't remember what I looked like. I didn't remember anything. My breathing became heavier, ans suddenly it felt as if my chest had caved in. "I can't remember," I quietly announced as I looked back at Newt.

       "It's okay, neither did we when we first came here," he informed me. That is, right before I blacked out.