Chapter 21. "What?"

Newt's POV

I havn't slept all night and I can see the first rays of light this morning, the morning after Nick died a brutal death in the maze. I decided that I could try to walk, I had been rubbing my leg for hours and it seemed to be better. I swung my good leg off of the bed and stood on one foot, I slowly and steadily let my other foot down I touched it to the dirt floor, not putting any weight on it. I slowly centered my weight to see if it was okay, I think that's what I did wrong yesterday, I just hopped right onto it which was absolutely stupid. Once I figured out I could stand on it and put a little extra weight on it I set off limping worse than the first time I broke it. I just stood outside for a moment, as if I forgot what it was. I took a deep breath in feeling the clean air fill my lungs. I walked around just outside of the makeshift building so there were things to put my hands on to steady me, I was practicing. Soon the runners came to the door and spoke to each other in mummers as if they were going to disturb the bloody glade. I just walked around the same same building looking like a sllinthead. I saw a few of the boy watch me while I walked by, they probably didn't know. I just continued on my way, it got easier and easier as I went. 

I let my mind roam thinking about random things. I was in the middle of thinking about going to Frypans' kitchen when Ashlyn flashed in my mind. Ashlyn...she hadn't eaten in at least three days, today would be the fourth. That's to shuckin much, I had to get food into her today. My thought was interrupted by the rumbling of the doors I looked over to watch the runners go in, it always fascinated my to watch there facial expressions as they entered what I was sure was the most deadly place on earth. Instead of the boys getting ready in there stances ready to run as soon as the door let them they gasped and took a step back. I walked there way,

"What?" I asked them curious. I was almost far enough to see in the door when I stepped on my leg the wrong way. "Ah!" I let out a yelp and the boy closets to me managed to stick his arms out and stop my from breaking my bloody face. I began to stand up when my eye caught something, it was over two feet long covered in blood, it was an arm. I just stared at it. 

I found myself a moment later. The glade doors were all the way open, someone was running to get Alby and I was slowly walking towards the arm, the rest of the boys watching me. Soon I was right next to it, I was still within the glade doors, it had been caught in them and fallen out when they had opened again. I looked down at it, it was defiantly Nick's arm it was pale and muscular, you could see where his shoulder blade had been torn apart by non other than a griever. I couldn't bring myself to do anything other than stare. Stare at the arm, at what used to be a piece on Nick, at the blood on it. I looked into the maze where somewhere there was a griever who had attacked Nick and ripped his to pieces. I looked into the maze where other grievers where lurking somewhere. I looked into the maze where somewhere I knew there was an escape. 

***

So this is the last chapter guys, I had planned on this being a short story and yeah, more news on what could possibly be hope for those of you who like it, later.