Chapter 1:

Chop! went my axe as I hit the walker's head. Just as I did, brains flew all over my faded shirt. It was okay. I was used to this. I pulled my axe away and began to walk once more down the ruins of a forgotten street.

I've been on my own for months now. It's a lot harder than I expected, but I make due. In some ways, it is better than being in a group. You don't have to see anyone you know die this way.

It's been brutal since the world fell apart. You don't know if you're going to live or die. Corpses walk around. People go insane. No food, no water, no shelter, no where safe. It's a ton to take in, but you have to if you want to survive.

I was only in middle school when it started. I'd been a typical young teenage girl. I loved singing, writing, reading, you name it. I even had a boyfriend and a best friend too. My parents were annoying, but I secretly loved them. Then, it hit. My sixth grade year, I was on my way to school in Kentucky and had just walked in the front gates when I saw my teacher eating a girl that looked about my age. The blood, the guts, the screaming, it was all too much. I ran, shocked and confused. When I went back to my house, my parents were already dead. They had been bit on the neck, not even out of their pajamas. I guess they heard something outside and decided to investigate. They couldn't have known what was happening. Then, my sister...

I snap back to reality. I'm not going to think about her. It doesn't help to dwell in the past. God knows, that's how you wind up dead.