Chapter 2:

My footsteps echo on the bare concrete, my shoes hitting the ground with a rhythm. I'm on Main Street, according to the bent street sign above my head. It's strange to think that I don't know what town I'm in. Then again, I don't even know what STATE this is, so I guess my location doesn't matter anymore. A comic book store is to my right. It's old and the roof has caved in. I've never read a comic book before. They had none where I lived and even if they did, girls typically don't read comic books. I gaze at the collapsed roof again. There's no way to get in there.  No comic books for me.

I sigh and continue my hunt for food. It's been at least two days since I had something in my stomach and I'm feeling kind of dizzy. Suddenly, I stumble upon a grocery store on the corner. I glance behind me and then back at the store. There could be food in there...but there could also be walkers. I get my axe ready just in case and approach the building slowly.

I walk up the cracked sidewalk and peer through one of the windows. Hmm. No walkers so far. Cautiously, I reach the front door and bang on it. If there are any walkers in there, they would come to the noise and I could see what I'm dealing with. After a minute of waiting and banging, I decide to enter the store. I open the door, my axe in my hand. It's so silent, I'm almost afraid to breathe. I take another step and the floorboards creak loudly. I cringe.

Most of the shelves are knocked down or bare. I go to aisle 6, as the fallen down sign says, and spy what I need. Food. Quickly, I shove cans of anything I can find in my backpack. I smile. I'd have a feast tonight.

I exit the store the back way, not thinking, and open the door. I almost drop my axe at what I see.

There are thirty walkers outside. And all of them look hungry.