Chapter 11

They say times is a great healer.

I'm wasn't sure if it's true or not. But as I look around at this cemetery, at the newest furnished marble stones embedded in the snow, I think it's both a good and bad healer. Time will ease the pain. Soothe our wounds. Maybe make us forget about it.

But time has a flaw.

Maybe if it was a little pain if would be completely be gone. Maybe not. Time can heal cuts. However, it cannot heal scars. Scars that cut deep into you. Scars that stay on your skin forever, completely painless and forgotten. Until your eyes land on it. It's like a constant reminder. A reminder of the pain. The pain that time could not fix.

Some scars are real, extremely, physically real. Others, are hypothetical. Cutting and wounding your heart rather than your skin. It's obvious that the hypothetical ones are more painful. Something you can't get off your head. 

Something that will haunt you forever. 

Crimson red met royal purple. 

He was sitting on the bench, looking utterly lonely. A barren tree stood above him, the weak branches swaying with the wind. Small parts of snow had clustered on his hair and shoulders, glinting in the winter sun above. He seemed the same, physically. 

He was wearing casual jeans and a hoodie. The dirt had completely washed away from his pale skin, leaving it looking ethereal. Dark circles couldn't be visible at all. He seemed better than I looked. Better than even my parents looked, who hadn't even been on the train. Maybe he would have been perfect.

If it weren't for his eyes.

The violet hues I had fallen in love with. The eyes that had seen so much death and danger. The purple orbs that used to wield a sword, but now seemed like the sword had striked itself instead. They seemed wounded and broken, maybe even beyond repair. They were devastated. Desperate. Dull. 

Dead.

I know that the train ride had scarred him as well. Didn't it scar everyone?  Leila had literally changed into a polar opposite of her old self. A little piece of all of us had shattered. 

Without thinking, my feet began moving, gliding across the soft snow. Purple and red were still clashing with each other, silently daring each other to move. I dimly noticed the four stones which still had a gloss to it, looking brand new in this grave yard. My thoughts and emotions vanished. I was only thinking about getting to Lui.

Only when I sat on the creaky wood of the bench did our eyes flicker away to the horizon. Several stones all lined up neatly, bare trees bordering the cemetery. Cars were zipping around busy buildings, but all the noise failed to reach my ears. 

'Lui,' I said. He opened his mouth to speak, his presence tensing but I interrupted him with my lips in one swift move. It was smooth and gentle, but he responded back instantly. We broke apart. It was short, but passionate. I smiled happily, the pink on both of our cheeks not from the cold. 'I love you.'

'I love you, too,' he responded back instantly, his eyes shining with glee. The scares had vanished for a second. He looked like he wanted to say that for ages and my heart burst with happiness. 'Can I ask you something?'

'Shoot,' I grinned. He took a deep breath, which made me worry a little. 

'Why do you love me?' he asked. My heart stopped. He made it sound like he was unlovable. 

'I don't know,' I replied slowly. 'I don't know why. I don't know how. I just did. Something about you.'

'Oh.'