Chapter 6

4/7/19 at 1:06 am: Welp, I just finished the book. I am very much ahead on writing so if I lose my mind having to wait the... five weeks (fuck) for this book to be over, I'll change the posting schedule to Monday, Wednesday, Friday. However, school's being a bitch so I'm going to keep the posting schedule the same for now: Monday and Thursday.

Virgil sighed as the final bell rang on Friday. He packed up his textbook and shoved it into his bag, rubbing his eyes in exhaustion.

Someone touched his shoulder.

Thomas... "Hey, I can't talk," Virgil said quickly, looking around for an escape. The room was clearing out quickly; if he could just get to the door, he would lose Thomas in the crowd.

Thomas stopped him, shaking his head down at the anxious teen. "You're not running away this time. Please, Virgil, tell me what happened. This time, I'm not giving up."

He sighed, looking around once more to see the teacher giving the two an annoyed look. She doesn't need to hear this. "Not... here," he whispered. He took Thomas's hand and lead him through the crowded halls and out onto the campus. He sighed and let go of his friend's hand.

Silence spread between them.

"I know you didn't fall."

Virgil shook his head. "Jackson." The name stuck in his throat.

"Your uncle."

He touched the bruise that was now no more than a yellow tint to his skin. He couldn't bring himself to say the word. He took in a shuttered breath instead.

Thomas grabbed him, pulling him into a tight, loving hug. "If any of them so much as lay a hand on you, I will give them hell."

A tear slid over his cheek and he quickly wiped it away. "I know you will and that's why I didn't want to tell you." He wanted to apologize, for whatever reason, but kept his mouth shut. He pulled away, putting on his best smile as he asked, "Can I have a ride home? I'm kind of tired of walking."

Thomas laughed and ruffled the other's hair. "That's what you get for avoiding me." He started walking, gesturing for Virgil to follow.

---

Virgil noted the phone number on the computer screen and began dialing. Footsteps behind him gave him only a second's pause. "Hi," he said into the speaker, "I need to rent three suits for-"

"Three?" someone laughed.

He glanced over his shoulder to see his cousins standing behind him, their hands on their hips. "Sorry, I'm gonna have to go." He hung up. "What-What about it?" he asked, doing his best to sound determined.

Jayden grinned. "Who's the third suit for?"

Dread washed over Virgil in an instant. He'd been an idiot--an idiot--to even consider that they might let him go with his friends. "No-No one. I'm sorry. I, um... I-I misspoke." He grabbed the phone, trying to hide his disappointment. "I'll call them back right away for two suits."

Hayden wasn't buying it. "You wanted the suit for yourself!" he announced suddenly.

"No. No, that-that'd be stupid."

"You're right," Jayden said, nearing Virgil with a menacing smile. "It was a stupid idea."

---

Roman screamed and sat bolt upright. Oh, how he hated that dream. He hugged himself, letting out a quiet, pained, choked sob.

His door was thrown open. His father demanded, "Are you okay?"

Roman wiped his cheeks quickly before looking up. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

His father, Daniel, stepped forward, sitting in front of his son. "Was it the same dream again?"

"I always... see her face."

Dan sighed. "Your mother... I wished I could have preserved her memory for you; I wish I'd found her that night instead of you."

"It's been years and I-I still see her face when I close my eyes."

"I know; I know..." He leaned over and looked at the clock on Roman's nightstand. "It's almost two AM. Please, try and get some decent sleep." He kissed his son's forehead. "I mean it when I say sleep," he said with a smile. "None of that late night reading, alright?"

Roman nodded. "Sorry 'bout that." He watched his father leave before laying down, the image of his mother still flashing in his eyes every time he blinked. "Why'd you do it, Mom?" he whispered. "Why'd you kill yourself?"

---

"Sorry, guys, but I can't go to the ball."

"What?" people around the table questioned.

"Why?"

"Can you not get a suit?"

"Did your family say no?"

Virgil stopped at the last question. He pointed to Talyn. "Ding ding ding."

Thomas turned with a scowl. "Oh hell no. They are not keeping you from that dance if I have anything to say about it."

Patton butt in, "Who's keeping my son from going to the dance?"

Virge rolled his eyes. "Patt, I'm still not your son, no matter how hard you try." He looked into Thomas's eyes. "I will deal with it all on my own... when I graduate and move out."

Thomas began to rub his hands together.

"What the hell?" Virgil questioned.

Thomas grinned deviously.

Jesus, I'm doomed.