C h a p t e r_S i x t e e n

AYUMI

"Onii-chan?" Yuka whispered, her hands clasped. "Are you coming to take me home? Onii-chan!" I felt my darkening increase. I was joining her miserable afterlife! I was joining them. Somehow, that thought made a smile overtake my lips. "Yes, tiny Mochida, I will guide you home," I snicker. "You will?" Her one eye had a hopeful glimmer. "You will rest in time," I promised. "Good!" Yuka wickedly grinned, and transformed into a blue mist as she entered my mouth.

That's when one of my traumatizing headaches began. My temple uncontrollably throbbed, as if my pulse was going to explode. My knees buckled, and I collapsed, trying not to vomit as I wildly gripped at my head. "MAKE THE PAIN STOP!" I screamed, and my vision was blurry. I assumed Naomi ran away at the sight of Yuka, or possibly even me. Or perhaps both, I'm not quite sure. Thinking made my head even more painful, and I doubled over.

I needed oxygen, but if I dared to breathe, I will begin to hyperventilate, and never stop. I coughed, gasped, wheezed, and repeated this idiotic cycle over and over. "Yu-ka--get--out--of--my--sys-tem!" I spluttered. My head felt like it was a bomb. My lungs felt like they were going to explode. I felt horrible, and I lost consciousness, unable to think any further. I felt dead, but at the same time, I didn't.

That's when Yuka gave me the order to kill.

NAOMI

Is it just me, or is it that every time Ayumi and I separate, fate makes us always find each other? I mean, I'm not complaining, because I loathe being by myself, especially in Heavenly Host, but I just find it odd. If Sachiko wanted to, and I guarantee she won't hesitate, she can just separate us into different spaces. Right? But Sachiko is a grown woman, and she is not at Heavenly Host, so... I guess it kind of makes sense.

But the thing is, our friends replaced the original ghosts, with their tongues, I may add, so how do we appease them and get out of here? I ran by the reference room, and I halted so fast my feet skidded across the floor. If I was lucky, and it was unlocked, maybe I could contain some information! I galloped back to it, twisting the doorknob.

It was unlocked.

Now, if I wasn't so excited, I might've been suspicious. Well, I would've absolutely been suspicious, considering those times when the room was locked. But I just dashed in without a care in the world. Foolish me, I know, I know. Critics these days. Anyway, I slammed into a bookshelf, and on the top of the cluttered pile, was the Book of Sachiko. Yes, that's what it was called. I lounged in a chair, delicately swiping through the pages.

It was bound with soft, brown leather, with yellowed pages inside. There were Sachiko's victims, promises, and past. There were also her plans. Everything about Sachiko was in this book! I cradled it into my arms, glancing around. This is too valuable to lose. Even though I'm wandering too far in the danger zone, even though I know I might die in seconds for just holding the book, I can't just put it down and walk away!

The Book of Sachiko reminds me of a diary. Well, diary-peeking can save a life now! I stood, but hot breath flowed into my ear, and the voice was strangely familiar...

"People get killed for flipping through that book, Naomi."