five

Chapter 5:Unspoken & Unnoticed

Eralyn POV

At some point in the hour, we were sitting in front of the toilet, I had finally calmed down and fell into a pained sleep. When I awoke, Fenrys was beside me on my bed fast asleep, trying his best to keep me warm. I smiled.

Fenrys and I had an unspoken thing between us. Neither of us could decide whether we wanted to be together or stay away. Mostly because of what happened half a century ago, but both of us chose not to speak about it. Then, as if he heard my thoughts, he stirred for his sleep. I kept smiling.

"You job was to help me calm down. Obviously, in your book, you're allowed to sleep on the job." He just snorted. We fell silent, just lying next to each other, both deep in thought. That's when I asked, in a meekly pathetic voice, "How'd you know?" He knew what I meant.

"I knew what that Rhysand was to you the moment I saw your face. I was planning on talking to you about it when I saw you, but when I heard you hurling your guts up, my suspicions were confirmed." The only people I told about my mysterious past was Rowan, Lorcan, Gavriel, Vaughan, Fenrys, Connall, and Amren. Each of them swore to keep it a secret, which they did, I think. It almost brought tears to my eyes that Fenrys actually realized it.

I hauled my self off the bed and straightened my clothes in front of the mirror, which made Fenrys make a move to take his lazy ass off my bed. We made eye contact through the mirror before he opened the door to make his way out. I sighed as he closed it, clutching my chest. Damnit, I thought, as I'm made my way out of my bedroom towards them. My family, by blood.

•••

Rhysand's POV

It's been a full hour since I last saw the female spymaster. Azriel had gone and checked out the rest of the castle to see if anything was suspicious despite Amren's dismay. He found that this was a war-free country that had a bloody history to make sure it stayed that way.

Amren was just finishing up the country's history when Eralyn winnowed in behind Amren. The winnowing, I had to ask her about that.

"Can your people here winnow as you can?" She looked at me with raised brows.

"This power is so rare that only me and another comrade of mine have the ability to do so. Also, we don't call it winnowing. It's called threading because you're threading yourself from one place to another." I nodded my head silently, as she sat herself down between Amren and Cassian. Her waist length, black hair shushing behind her, as she poured her self a drink she'd gotten from the liquor cabinet. Everyone watched in silence as she took a long swig from the glass, and set it down. She then looked me dead in the eyes, and it took all that I was not to look away. So similar, so very similar. I was still cringing as she spoke in a tone that could rival Amren's when she's angry.

"You're the most powerful High Lord in history who lost his mate. The male who took her is a rival High Lord that played a huge role in the murder of your mother and sister," something flickered in her eyes that looked like utter rage, "so to get her back and not end up with an internal war, you need me to kidnap her and bring her to you." She looked all of us in the eye, silently asking if she was correct. When she got a nod from me, she chugged the rest of her drink and spoke in an even deadlier tone. "I'll need maps of both your's and that rival court's territories. If possible, I will also need every single recent report of that rival court. My queen has allowed me to go with you and has given me as much time as needed to complete this job. Dinner will be served to your rooms around 7pm, and we leave whenever you deem yourselves ready." She looked back at me, "I am now under your command. I'll check back here in a few hours." And with that, both she and her glass vanished.

This time, all of us loosened a breath. Cassian looked to Amren.

"What the hell was that?" He honestly looked delirious. Amren sighed at this.

"A long time ago, a similar situation happened between her and her former lover, except she didn't get there in time," she looked to me, "So expect her to be a little tense around you." I immediately felt guilty and put my head down.

"She has a right to feel that way."

With my head down, I saw Amren and Mor exchange glances. Little did I know what I was completely oblivious to.

...

ick