extra → two

Chapter 22: +bonus; one day

...

"being with you is like breathing, how could I stop?"

"I'd die without you."

...

"Don't go," he said. The sound penetrated the eerie silence that encased the room after Fenrys' and Eralyn's latest argument. Fenrys looked to the female his heart yearned to be next to and spoke the words he's been wanting to say for what seemed like his entire life. "Don't go back."

"Go back where," Eralyn snipped back. Obviously, she was still heated from the argument, or just at him perhaps. If he was being honest, he did start the fight, but it was because he didn't want her to go back.

"You know where, Eralyn," he said as his eyes glowered. She stilled for a moment, then went back to her own glowering. Fenrys only ever used his beloved's first name when the situation was dire, and, Gods above, was this conversation a serious one.

He didn't know how she hadn't seen it yet. He didn't know how to make it more obvious. To the rest of the world, everyone could see that Fenrys wanted Eralyn. Hell, even Lorcan noticed it! If Fenrys ever seriously wanted something, it was definitely now and specifically her. Something about her, the way she talked, fought, lived, breathed; something about her drove him to the edge.

Every damn time.

All it would take was a bit of her scent, and he was awakened. Not just physically, but emotionally and mentally. He needed her. He didn't give a damn if she wasn't his mate. She fit too perfectly in his side and he fit too perfectly in her. It was like a match made by the gods across worlds.

He was shaken from his reverie as she said, "Why do I have to stay here? What right do you have to deny me of my family? I am the Princess, for the love of God." She mumbled the last part under her breath, but Fenrys heard her clearly. Too clearly.

But he already knew about her royal bloodline. Had heard it when she explained herself to Aelin to prove her loyalty and got the gist of it when she straightened Lorcan out.

Going onto the topic of Lorcan, if Fenrys was being honest with himself, he thought he was going to lose Eralyn to the demi-Fae male, but Eralyn explained to him one night while she unintentionally got herself drunk that she and Lorcan were too alike. That they had once tried to be together with a long while ago, when they were young, but it never worked out.

Part of him wondered if Eralyn told him that just so he knew he had a chance with her, but Eralyn had never shown signs of wanting except for that one time they tangled a few weeks ago. Ever since then, they've gotten closer and closer together, not to mention the fact that they annoy the hell out of each other.

"I know you want me, Fenrys," Eralyn said lowly as if she had read the unspoken question in his mind that appeared just moments ago. Although it was unnecessary, Fenrys brought a finger up to his temple, keeping his gaze locked on the female, before he slowly brought it down and sat up from where he was lounging tensely on her bed. Eralyn stopped her pacing in front of the bed as he rose, and seemingly held her breath as he neared closer.

"Does that change anything," he asked softly as he looked down at her. She was an elite warrior, but the majority of all Fae males of Aelin's court towered over her, however, she wasn't short as she towered over a majority of Fae females. At most, Fenrys was a woman's hand's length taller than her.

Eralyn stared at him for a moment, as if drinking him in and the underlined question he laid before her. Her eyes glazed over as she thought about something and when she shook herself out her reverie, a hesitant emotion shone in her eyes. He became unsettled by it, especially as she turned away from him, wrapping her arms around herself. He realized she wouldn't be answering his question.

He grabbed her arm and turned her around. "If you've known that I want you, then why act like you don't know? Why brush me off? We've been together before, Eralyn. Don't even try to deny it. Even if you slept with me drunk, you sure as hell woke up next to me sober," He rapidly surveyed her eyes as her own bore into his. He waited as the hesitance grew into fear, and then sadness, and hundreds of "what-if" questions. Something must have happened. What was she thinking about? Why the hesitance? Fenrys supposed he grew another pair of balls overnight as he said, "Tell me."

Eralyn shook her head as she stepped away from him again. However, she didn't go far as she plopped herself down by the foot of her bed, still not really looking at him. "Just because I said that I knew you want me doesn't mean I know why you want me."

He scrunched up his brows as he sat down next to her, "What's that supposed to mean? Isn't it obvious? You're sexy as hell, super badass, and kind, Eralyn. You are so, so selfless and kind. And every day I find myself falling-"

"Don't," the said female cut him off, "don't say it."

He fisted his hands, "Why not?" She looked at her hands as the room was once more encased in silence. Fenrys sat there next to her though, scrutinizing her, wanting to take her by the shoulders and ask her to just answer the damn question.

But Fenrys knew better than that. He knew that Eralyn would talk when she was ready if she was ready. Perhaps any sort of committed romance was something she was not ready for, but he wasn't the slightest disheartened.