Change

I look away from Toby. "You need to leave, Toby."

"Yaela..." says Toby.

"Toby, you need to leave!" I say.

"But, Yaela..." says Toby.

"Toby, you need to leave," I say in a gentle voice. A tear slips down my face. "I can't be caught."

"But..." says Toby, confused.

"Leave!" I say.

Toby, instead of leaving, sits next to me. "I'm not leaving until you tell me why."

I wipe away another tear and shake my head.

"Then I'm staying," he says firmly.

After a few seconds, I nod. "Alright, Toby... I am a daughter of the Moon and Shadows. Mother, Father, and Auntie are looking for me, to try to end the war with my help. But I don't want to be in the war. That's why I'm here - I ran away to get away from everyone."

Toby stares at me, and just when I think he's going to run away, he kisses me. Surprised, I kiss back.

"I love you, Yaela," he whispers in my ear. "Nothing will change that. I'll always be by your side."

"And I'll be by yours," I say. We hug and then I move away.

"Will you please come back to the mansion?" he asks bluntly.

I look at him, surprised. "I guess so..."

Smiling, Toby takes my hand and jumps out the window with me. We run toward the forest, toward the mansion.