Chapter 1 - Big News

*No one's P.O.V*
The newly engaged couple stood, wrapped in each other's embrace and completely oblivious to the world around them.

"I love you" Erin whispered, her head resting on Jay's chest as she held him close.

"Let's head home" Jay urged, picking her up, his hands firmly cupped around her backside as he took off in the direction of the car. Erin chuckled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

An elderly gentleman smiled to himself as he was reminded of a time when he was young and in love. He clutched tighter at the bouquet of flowers in his hand, continuing his journey to visit his wife. As he tended to her grave each day, he reminisced on the years they spent together and wished they had more time together.

*The next morning*

The young detectives lay wrapped up in each other's embrace until the shrill sound of their alarm woke them from their peaceful slumber.

Jay rolled over to turn off the alarm before turning to plant a soft kiss on his fiancé's lips. Erin smiled, reaching up to pull him closer.

"If we don't get up and get ready, we are going to be late" Erin whispered, pulling back slightly before they both got carried away. Jay pouted and gave her a final peck on the lips before rolling back to his side of the bed and getting up.

"Are you getting up?" Jay asked, turning to see that Erin had not yet risen from the bed.

"Just admiring the view dear" she smirked, tilting her head at him. Jay chuckled before leaving to go have a shower.

*1 hour later*

The young detectives sauntered up the stairs to the squad room, hand in hand. Neither of them could contain their excitement as they reached the top of the stairs and were greeted by the rest of the unit having an animated discussion about what to get for lunch.

"Hey guys" Erin called out, getting everyone's attention. "Jay and I have a question for all of you" she announced with a barely contained smirk on her face. The team stopped what they were doing and turned to look at the pair.

"How would you all like to join us for dinner after shift to celebrate our engagement?" Jay asked as Erin held up her left hand to show off her ring.

The whole team jumped up to congratulate them and get a closer look at Erin's ring.

"Congratulations you two" Voight said, getting a bit choked up as he hugged his two detectives

"Can I speak to you in your office for a minute?" Erin whispered, nervously looking at Voight. Her sudden nerves confused him, but he willingly agreed.

"What's up? Voight asked, closing the door behind them and turning to face Erin.

"I never thought in a million years that I would be getting married" she began, unable to stop the smile that spread across her face from ear to ear, "and it would mean so much to me if you would give me away at my wedding" Erin said, nervously fiddling with the sleeve of her leather jacket.

"I would be honoured" Voight agreed, a few tears slipping from his eyes as he enveloped Erin in a tight hug which she gladly returned.

They wiped their eyes before returning to the squad room, Erin giving Jay a small nod to let him know that everything was okay.

"Looks like we don't have a case today, so I'll need your completed case reports on my desk by the end of the day" Voight announced before returning to his office to write his own reports.

Ruzek looked down at the sizeable stack of unfinished reports on his desk in horror before looking to the rest of the team who simply laughed at him.

"Head down, bum up mate" Dawson joked to Ruzek who flipped him off in response.

Jay carried his laptop over to Erin's desk and sat down next to her.

"Everything ok with you and Voight" Jay asked, turning to face his fiancé. Erin smiled at him, turning to face him.

"Yeah. I asked him to give me away at the wedding" Erin beamed, scooting her chair closer to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. Jay wrapped his arms around her waist and planted a kiss on her cheek.

Voight emerged from his office to go on the morning coffee run.

*5pm*

The team rose to their feet and grabbed their belongings before heading home to get ready for dinner.

Voight watched on as his team left for the day, smiles on their faces. He couldn't help but smile as he watched Jay and Erin walk out, hand in hand. He grabbed his jacket and keys before heading down to his car.

*1 hour later*

*1 hour later*

The restaurant was buzzing with activity, families sat around tables laughing amongst themselves. The members of the Intelligence Unit trickled in, one by one and took their seats. Erin and Jay were the last ones to arrive, and it didn't take a genius to figure out why they were late.

"Nice of you to finally join us" Ruzek smirked, taking a sip of his drink. Jay rolled his eyes, choosing to ignore Ruzek's comment and instead focused on the menu in front of him. Erin looped her arm through his and glanced at the menu in his hands.

"Hi, I'm Blair. Are we ready to order or do we need a few more minutes?" the waitress asked, her tone overly polite.

They went around the table, telling the waitress what they wanted before she smiled and walked away.

The team turned their attention to Jay and Erin.

"Have you made any wedding plans yet?" Olinsky asked, leaning back in his chair. Erin and Jay smiled at each other before turning back to face the team.

"We don't want a long engagement, so we were thinking of getting married in June or July" Erin started, smiling at Jay.

"Yeah and we just want it to be a small ceremony with close friends and family" Jay finished, returning Erin's smile.

"As a wedding gift, I would like to pay for the wedding" Voight announced, surprising the young couple who turned to face their boss.

"Are you sure?" Jay asked, still not quite able to believe what he was hearing.

"Absolutely" Voight confirmed. Erin got up and gave him a hug, tears in her eyes as she thanked him. Jay shook his hand, expressing his gratitude.

The team chatted amongst themselves whilst waiting for their meals to arrive. 

A.N./// Hello everyone! 
Book 3 is finally underway :) Updates may be a little slow because I will be going on professional experience at the end of next month. I will do my best to update as often as possible. This book has a lot of surprises in it and is really going to test the characters  so stay tuned!

As always, I welcome any and all feedback. I am constantly looking to improve my writing so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment or send me a message. 

Until next time beautiful people....