Chapter 10 - Objections

*One month later – December 12*

*5 months (21 weeks) *

It had been one month and four days since Sergeant Trudy Platt had been gunned down in the coffee shop near the 21st district and despite their dedicated efforts to track down the shooter, the Intelligence Unit had not been able to find the person responsible. Tensions were high as every police officer in Chicago went about their duties, constantly looking over their shoulders and the powers that be demanded results.

The members of the Intelligence Unit were all feeling the pressure, each putting in unprecedented amounts of overtime to catch the shooter and often took their work home with them. They had been putting off taking on other cases but the pressure from the police chief was mounting.

Erin had been told to take things easier at work so was working from home most days, coming into the district only two days a week. Her baby bump was now obvious and was unable to be hidden under any of her clothes.

The sound of Voight slamming his fists on his desk halted the actions of everyone in the squad room, each of them snapping their attention to the doorway of his office. Voight stormed out, the look on his face putting the team on edge.

"The Police Commissioner has ordered us to start taking on other cases" he began, his tone harsh; "Sarah Wells, was found beaten to death in her home this morning. Her husband Thomas and her two children are missing. Police already on scene suspect that Thomas is responsible and has taken off with the kids because rumor has it, Sarah was preparing to file for divorce and custody of the kids, Ethan and Savannah" Voight addressed the team, putting photos of the family on a spare whiteboard.

The team grabbed their gear and followed Voight down to their cars before driving to the scene in frustrated silence, each wishing they were still working on the shooting investigation.

*Jay's P.O.V*

Voight zipped in and out of traffic on the way to the crime scene as I gripped on to the handle above the door like my life depended on it.

"Ok, normally I wouldn't say anything but I have a kid on the way and I'd really like to be able to meet him" I said, gripping onto the handle and the edge of my seat as Voight hurled the car around a corner.

"The baby is a boy?" Voight asked, averting his gaze from the road momentarily to look at me. I fumbled over my words knowing that if Erin found out that I had told Voight, I would be sleeping on the couch for the rest of my life.

"Crap! Please don't tell Erin I told you" I pleaded with him desperately, "she will kill me!" I added, my heart in my throat as Voight began to chuckle.

"Don't worry, my lips are sealed. Congratulations by the way" he said, briefly turning to face me with a small smile on his face. I breathed a sigh of relief, but it was short lived as Voight brought the car to a sudden stop outside a suburban home.

We hopped out of the car and made our way under the police tape and into the house. The media had already started arriving, desperately searching for any scrap of information they could find.

"What do we have?" Voight asked the officer standing over the badly beaten body of a woman.

"Tracey Eldridge, 37, mum of two. The neighbour heard an argument a little after 7am and called police about half an hour later when Mrs. Eldridge didn't leave for work at her usual time. There's no sign of the husband or the kids" the young officer replied, looking up from his notebook as he finished speaking.

"So, are we thinking the husband is responsible for this?" Ruzek asked, glancing around the room, taking in all of the mess that had been created in the struggle. The glass coffee table was shattered, and photo frames smashed on the floor.