Chapter 3 - I do!

*21st July 2019*

*No one's P.O.V*

The guests were buzzing with excitement, anxiously waiting for the ceremony to begin. Jay and Erin were in separate rooms getting ready for their big day, each could barely contain their excitement.

*knock knock*

"You ready kiddo?" Voight asked, stepping into Erin's room. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Erin in her dress.

"Don't cry, because if you start crying so will I and then Natalie will have to redo my makeup" Erin said, barely able to stop herself from tearing up and ruining her makeup

"You look absolutely stunning" he exclaimed, barely able to hold back his tears as he took in the sight of Erin in her wedding dress. Erin beamed from ear to ear.

"Let's go. I don't want to be late to my own wedding" Erin joked, hooking her arm into Voight's and they both walked out to the car.

*20 minutes later*

The music began as Erin and Voight began the slow walk down the aisle between the rows of excited guests. Jay's breath caught in his throat as he caught sight of his bride to be walking down the aisle, her arm looped in Voight's. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face.

When Erin finally made it to him, he took hold of her hands, giving them a gentle squeeze before lifting her veil over her head. The pair turned to face the celebrant as he cleared his throat, and everyone quietened down.

He smiled at the couple before beginning, "We are gathered here today to celebrate one of life's greatest moments, and to cherish the words which shall unite Jay Halstead and Erin Lindsay in marriage. Before I continue, if anyone knows any reason why these two individuals may not lawfully marry, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Everyone looked around for a moment before the celebrant continued.

"Marriage is the promise between two people who love each other, and who trust in that love, who honour each other as individuals, and who choose to spend the rest of their lives together.
This ceremony will not create a relationship that does not already exist between you. It is a symbol of how far you have come these past few years. It is a symbol of the promises you will make to each other to continue growing stronger as individuals and as partners. No matter what challenges you face, you now face them together, and no matter how much you succeed, you now succeed together. The love between you joins you now as one.
The bride and groom have a few words to share" he finished, turning to face Jay who took the piece of paper that Will handed him.

"Erin, I wish I could stand up here and promise you the world, but the world isn't mine to give. What I do promise is my world, and all it entails. My love, support, passion, compassion and enthusiasm.
I wish I could promise you riches, but every vault has its end. What I do promise you is a life of abundance. An abundance of love and support, of strength and vulnerability, of sharing and drive, of passion, and of adventure.
Because of you I laugh, I smile, and I dare to dream again. I look forward with great joy to spending the rest of my life with you and being there for you in all life has for us. Heaven knows this is going to be a wild ride" At this, every chuckled.
"From this day forward I promise you these things. I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share in your dreams and support you as you strive to achieve your goals.
I will listen with compassion and understanding and speak to you with encouragement. I will help you when you need it, and step aside when you don't.
I will remain faithful to you for better or worse, in times of sickness and health. You are my best friend and I will love and respect you always" he finished, wiping the tear that was falling down Erin's cheek with his thumb.

Burgess handed Erin her piece of paper before stepping back next to Natalie.

Erin took a deep breath before speaking, "Jay, I wake up every day in awe of the fact that out of every woman on Earth, you picked me. For the life of me, I've never understood why but I am thankful every day that you did. This is a day I never thought would happen. If anyone had asked me 10 years ago whether I ever saw myself getting married one day I would have said no because I didn't think that anyone would love me when they learned about my past. Then you came along and changed everything. To say that I knew you were the one from the moment I met you wouldn't be accurate. When we met, you drove me crazy, frustrated me, confused me and constantly disagreed with me. I always knew that our partnership, our relationship was different and on paper, it shouldn't work. Yet somehow, we came together almost as if we were drawn to each other by some unexplained force. We've stood by each other through the good, the bad and the ugly and I promise to continue to stand by your side as we face the inevitable challenges that life will throw our way. I promise you understanding, love and compassion always. I can't wait to share this journey with you and maybe one day grow this little family of ours" she finished, looking up at Jay and giving him a wink. His face lit up and he took her hands in his and gave them a gentle squeeze.

There was not a dry eye in the audience as the celebrant stepped forward to begin speaking.

"Ok Jay, do you take Erin to be your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death parts you?" he asked, his gaze directed at Jay.

"I do" Jay replied without hesitation placing the ring on Erin's finger.

"And Erin, do you take Jay to be your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer, until death parts you?" he asked, now directing his gaze at Erin.

"I do" Erin replied, smiling at Jay who had barely taken his eyes off her since she walked down the aisle. She placed the ring on his finger before meeting his gaze again

"Then it gives me immense pleasure to say that by the power bestowed upon me by the state of Illinois, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now..." Jay didn't wait for him to finish before he wrapped his arm around Erin's back and leaned in to connect their lips. Their guests erupted into applause and cheers as the newlyweds continued to kiss, seemingly unaware of anyone else's presence.

*30 minutes later*

Everyone filed into Molly's and took a seat. It wasn't long before Jay and Erin arrived, hand in hand. They each took turns greeting their guests before taking a seat side by side.

Voight stood up from his chair next to Erin and tapped his glass with his fork. Everyone quietened down in anticipation of what he had to say.

"Thank you all for coming. Erin. Jay. I said when I first started the Intelligence Unit that I wouldn't tolerate relationships between team members and clearly you two weren't paying attention" he chuckled, "but when I see how happy you both are together, I am glad you didn't listen. It's not often you find someone who understands you, who accepts you for who you are and who you aren't and it's not often that you find someone who sets your soul alight. Hold on to each other and I obviously have to tell you Jay that if you ever hurt her, you'll have to deal with me" he said, making everyone except Jay chuckle. "Now, as a wedding present for you, each member of the unit has donated a vacation day so that you can go on a honeymoon" he finished, smiling at the looks of shock and confusion on the couple's faces before handing them an envelope.

Jay took the envelope and peeked inside at the two plane tickets to London before both got to their feet to hug Voight and the other members of the Intelligence Unit.
"Thank you all so much" Erin exclaimed, barely able to hold back her tears as Jay placed an arm around her waist.