Chapter 6 - Desk Duty

*Two weeks later – 12 weeks pregnant*

*No one's P.O.V*

The young detectives lay in bed, their alarm had not yet gone off. Jay lay, propped up on his elbow and placed his other hand on Erin's stomach where a small bump had started to form. Erin watched on with a smile.

"I wish we could lay here in bed all day" Erin said, placing her hand on Jay's chest.

"Me too" Jay replied, moving his hand down to her thigh, gently pulling her leg over his waist so that she was straddling him.

Things heated up quickly as the pair took off what little clothing they had on. The sound of their alarms going off interrupted them.

"Shall we move this to the shower" Erin suggested with a devious smirk. Jay jumped up from the bed with Erin in his arms, taking her by surprise.

*30 minutes later*

Erin and Jay walked, hand in hand, into Chicago Med for Erin's 12-week ultrasound. Natalie smiled as she saw the couple come around the corner.

"Hello" Natalie greeted them, hugging each of them before turning to lead them to an empty room.
Erin got settled up on the bed and lifted her shirt as Natalie squirted some gel onto her stomach. Jay sat on the edge of the chair beside Erin, his eyes glued to the screen.

"How have you been? Any nausea or discomfort?" Natalie asked, her eyes momentarily leaving the screen in front of her as she moved the wand around on Erin's stomach.

"I've been good. Only a little bit of nausea in the mornings and I no longer fit into my favourite jeans which sucks" Erin replied, giving Jay's hand a gentle squeeze. Natalie smiled at the couple before turning her attention back to the screen.

"There's your baby," Natalie announced, pointing to the screen; "everything looks great" she concluded, moving to get a wipe so that Erin could wipe the gel off her stomach.

"Thank you" Erin smiled, swinging her legs over the edge of her bed. She wrapped Natalie up in a grateful hug as tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

"Yes, thank you" Jay said, hugging Natalie before turning to Erin, "We should probably get going babe, we have to get to work" he said, smiling at Erin as they put their jackets on. They said their goodbyes to Natalie before leaving hand in hand.

The young couple walked to Jay's car in a comfortable silence. Erin rested her hand over her bump protectively as onlookers smiled at the pair, still hand in hand.

Jay opened the car door for Erin who slid into the passenger side, before he ran around to the driver's side and hopped in. The look of panic on Erin's face worried him.

He reached for her hand and rubbed slowed circles on the top of her hand with his thumb, as she brought her eyes up to meet his. The tears threatening to spill from her eyes softened Jay's expression and his concern grew.

"What's wrong?" he asked, reaching up to wipe a tear from her cheek.

"I'm scared Jay. I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to protect this baby. The things we see every day. The types of people we meet. What if one day, one or both of us gets killed? What then? What if this child doesn't like me? What if I can't cope? What if I'm not ready to be a mother?" she blurted out in between tears.

Jay leaned over the centre console and wrapped his arms around Erin who slumped against his chest and sobbed. Jay rubbed gentle circles in the base of her back as she clung to him.

"Erin honey, please look at me" he said softly, lifting her chin gently so that she was looking at him. He placed a soft kiss on the tip of her nose, followed by a kiss on her forehead. When she relaxed slightly, he continued, "you aren't in this alone. I am going to be right by your side the entire time. Every dirty nappy, every sleepless night; I will be right there with you. When this baby is born, I am going to be right there letting you squeeze the life out of my hand" Jay reassured her. Erin nodded before resting her head on Jay's shoulder, the flow of tears slowing, and her breathing returned to normal.