1.02

SHOTGUN

"When alpha particles go through gold foil they become--"

"Unoccupied space."

"A molecule that can--"

Steve walked by Nancy and Tammy and ripped the notecards away. "I don't know, I think you've studied enough for this."

Tammy stiffened when Tommy and Carol walked up with him. They were awful people. "Steve--"

"I'm telling you, you got this. Don't worry." He smiled. "Now onto more important matters. My dad has left town on a conference and my mom's gone with him, cause she doesn't trust him."

"Good call," Tommy nodded.

"So are you in?"

"In for what?"

Carol looked at her like she was insane. "No parents? Big house?"

"A party? It's Tuesday."

Tommy and Carol mocked her a bit before Steve said, "Come on. It'll be low key. It'll just be us. What do you say? Are you in or are you out?"

And that's how they found themselves driving down a road to Steve's house that night with Barb and Ren in the backseat.

"Tam, pull over."

She did just that and asked, "What are we doing here? Steve's house is three blocks away."

"We can't park in the driveway," Nancy answered.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, the neighbours might see."

"This is so stupid," Barb said, shaking her head.

"I'm just gonna drop you off, Nance, and we're gonna go home."

"Tam! Guys, you've gotta come. You promised you would. We're all gonna have a great time."

Barb leaned forward. "Nance, I love you, but he just wants to get into your pants."

"No, he doesn't." Nancy chuckled nervously.

Ren sighed. "Seriously. He invited you to his house. His parents aren't home."

Barb spoke up again. "Come on, you are not this stupid."

"Tommy and Carol are gonna be there."

"Tommy and Carol have been having sex since like seventh grade. It'll probably be just like a big orgy."

"Gross."

"Thanks for that image, Barb." Ren rolled his eyes and leaned back again.

"I'm serious."

"Alright, well, you guys can be like my guardians. Make sure I don't get drunk and do anything stupid."

They got out of the car and trekked up to Steve's front porch where Ren rang the doorbell.

"Guys, chill," Nancy scolded them, as they were literally all fidgeting.

Steve pulled the door open and just about gave Ren a heart attack. He just looked so damn good. Tammy gave him a knowing look and whispered, "You're screwed." He just lightly punched her in the shoulder.

"Hello ladies and Ren. Might I interest you in a visit to the pool?"

Oh yeah, he was so screwed.

~•~

"And now he's shotgunning a can of beer. Fuck." Ren looked over to Tammy. "How is that so hot?"

"Well, you see," she started like she was going to give an actual reason, "it's not. You're just in love with him."

"Shut up! I am not in love with him."

"What are you two whispering about?" Barb implored from the chair next to them.

"Nothing, nothing. We'll tell you later, promise," Ren said, holding out his pinky for a pinky promise. Barb linked it with hers and did the same with Tammy.

"Oh, great. Now Nance is gonna drink beer? That should go well." Barb rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest.

"Chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, chug," Tommy and Steve chanted. And before they knew it, Nancy had finished the whole can.

"Barb, you wanna try?"

She rolled her eyes and stood up, taking the knife in one hand and the can in the other. Her hand slipped slightly and cut a big gash on the thumb.

Ren and Tammy stood up to join their friends. "Barb, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where's your bathroom?" she asked Steve.

"Oh, it's, uh, down past the kitchen to the left."

"I'll come with you," Ren offered, not knowing that Steve was close behind them.

When they got to the bathroom, Ren stood in silence while Barb cleaned the cut in the sink. Suddenly he felt someone's hand on his shoulder. Steve's.

"What do you want?"

He raised his hands in defense. "Hey, sorry. Just came to see if she was okay. I didn't mean to pressure her. We just thought it would be fun, I guess."

Ren stepped outside to talk to him. "Listen. Barb and Nancy are like my little sisters. If you hurt either of them, I will fuck you up so bad you won't be able to walk."

Steve smirked. "Is that an offer?"

He went red, both from anger and embarrassment. "See, this is the problem. You can't joke around so much! Not everything is a fucking game. If Tammy were here, she'd be saying the same thing. If you and Nancy are going to be a thing, you're going to have to stop being a jerk. Got it?"

Somehow they had gotten closer as Ren whisper-yelled at Steve. Their faces were barely a few inches apart and Steve was definitely not looking into Ren's eyes. Damn, when did Ren Bautz get so cute? Also, when did I start liking guys?

Steve gulped. "Got it. I'm sorry. I won't be such a dickhead."

"Thank you. At least that's one thing Tommy and Carol couldn't change about you," Ren said right as Barb walked out. "I think we'll be leaving now. Barb?"

"I'll actually stay just a bit longer if that's alright?" she asked. Steve nodded.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'll catch a ride home. I'll be fine."

"Okay." Ren gave Steve a last look before exiting the house with one thought on his mind.

Did I just have a moment with Steve Harrington?