3.04

LIKE YOU AND STEVE

"Hey, Ren, you got any plans for the fourth?"

"Nah, probably just staying home and watching a movie like usual."

His coworker nodded and walked away. They tried to make small talk, but it was always awkward and felt out of place. Ren was sure most of his coworkers didn't like him. His boss even once said 'kid's got a faggy air about him', so he knew it wasn't personal. It was just the way things were. But until his boss knew he was actually gay, he still had his job, and he could still help pay for his and Steve's house.

Speak of the devil, there was a guy in a sailor's outfit hiding in the bushes near Scoops Ahoy, and Ren was sure it was Steve. He told his boss he was taking a break and walked out there to see what the hell his boyfriend was doing. As he got closer, he saw Dustin there too, so he knew it had to be about the radio transmission.

"What are you two idiots doing?" Ren asked and they jumped.

"Get down!" Dustin whispered.

Steve grabbed his hand and yanked him down to the floor with them.

"You two are horrible spies, you know that?"

Dustin just rolled his eyes and looked back into the binoculars. "Target acquired."

"What? Who's our target?"

"A Russian guy," Steve supplied. "Where is he?"

"Ten o'clock, Sam Goody's."

Steve stole the binoculars from Dustin and looked through them himself. Ren just leaned against the bush and waited for them to be done.

"Ren, let's go." Steve grabbed his hand and pulled him upright. He dragged him around the mall, with Dustin in the lead, as they followed the guy into the Jazzercise stall.

Ren rolled his eyes and laughed when he said, "I just have one question for you. Who is ready to sweat?"

"Wait till Robin hears about this," he mumbled when they got back to the ice cream shop. Just as they walked in, Robin ran out toward the big plant in the middle of the mall.

They followed her in confusion. "Robin, what's going on?"

"I cracked the code."

<*>

"Dustin, it's Will, do you copy?"

"I copy," he whispered back.

"Can I talk to Ren?"

"Yeah." Dustin tossed the walkie talkie to him immediately.

"Will? What's going on?"

"Can I come hang out with you? I need to get away from Mike and Lucas for a while."

"Yeah, of course. Do you want me to come pick you up?"

"Um, I'm actually already at the mall."

Ren smiled. "We're just about to close here, but I can meet you outside? And then we can talk in the car."

"Yeah, I'll be here. Over and out."

He leaned over to the window and beckoned Steve over. "Hey, babe, I gotta go."

He frowned. "How come?"

"Will Byers. I don't know what exactly happened, but apparently Mike and Lucas are assholes." Steve nodded. "But I'll be back here tomorrow. Can you fill me in on what happens with the evil Russians?"

"Of course, baby. I love you."

"I love you too."

Steve looked around the shop to make sure no one was looking and kissed Ren once, softly.

Ren left through the back door after handing the walkie talkie back to Dustin. When he exited the building, he found Will sitting against a wall next to his bike. "Hey, man." He reached down and helped him up. "You've been crying. Are you okay?"

Will nodded. "Yeah, I've just had a rough night I guess."

"You wanna talk about it?"

He nodded again and followed Ren to his car. Once they loaded his bike into the trunk, they both climbed in the front seats and Ren started the car.

"So Mike and Lucas, right?"

"Yeah. Do you remember when I told you about my crush on Mike?"

"Yes."

"Well, you know, lately he's been spending so much time with El, and Lucas has been with Max, and nobody wants to hang out with me anymore. I just want to play Dungeons and Dragons with them like we used to."

"Where does your crush on Mike come into play?"

"He and I were arguing and he said 'It's not my fault you don't like girls'."

Ren almost stopped the car. "He said that?"

"Yeah. I know he didn't mean it, but it still hurt. And I didn't even know he knew."

"Well, he's an asshole."

"Not all the time."

"No, but these past couple days, he's not been the best friend to you and Dustin. And he's been a sucky boyfriend to El."

Will's eyes widened. "Wait, did you hear what happened yesterday?"

"No, why?"

"El dumped Mike."

"Really? Good for her."

"Yeah."

"You know, Will, one day, a boy's gonna come along and be absolutely perfect for you. And you'll fall in love and be together forever."

"Like you and Steve?"

Ren's eyes sparkled and he smiled. "Yeah, like me and Steve."