2.09

SECRETS
EPILOGUE

Steve pulled up to Hawkins Middle School and stopped right at the entrance. "Alright, buddy, here we are. So, remember, once you get in there..."

"Pretend like I don't care."

"You don't care."

"I don't care."

"That's bullshit, but whatever."

Steve turned in his seat to look at Ren. "Come on, girls and guys work different."

"Exactly. That's why you're wrong. You're putting nonsense into this kid's brain."

"It's not nonsense."

Dustin butted in, voice dripping with sarcasm. "Hey, Mom and Dad? Can you stop fighting for a second? I kind of have a dance to go to and a girl to impress."

Ren's cheeks flushed red. "You're right, sorry."

Dustin looked at his hair in the mirror and tried to make sure it was perfect.

"Hey, come on. You look great." Steve moved the mirror away from him and tried to reassure him.

"He's right."

"Okay, so you're gonna go in there--"

"Yeah."

"Look like a million bucks..."

"Yeah!"

"You're gonna slay 'em dead."

"Like a lion." He made a strange purring noise, and Ren started laughing.

Steve shook his head. "Yeah, don't do that, okay?"

"Okay."

"Good luck."

Dustin nodded and gave Steve a little side hug. Ren gave him a high five right before he exited the car. They watched as he walked in. He looked really nervous, but they knew he was gonna kill it. Ren caught a glance of Nancy and saw how genuinely happy she looked. He heaved a big sigh and climbed forward into the passenger seat. Steve laughed as he did so, his long limbs causing him trouble.

"So my parents are out tonight. What do you say we go back to mine and have our own Snow Ball?"

He grinned. "That sounds great."

They sang along to music on the radio as Steve drove to his house, their hands intertwined and resting on the old car's console. When they reached Steve's house, they climbed onto the roof and into his room like they had a year before when they spent their first night together. Steve grabbed a tape from his closet and left the room. Ren sat on his bed and waited. When Steve came back, he had his parents' tape player and set it up. He pressed play and the intro to Bring It On Home to Me by Sam Cooke filled the small room.

Steve held his hand out and said, "May I have this dance?"

If you ever change your mind

Ren grinned, took his hand, and stood up.

About leaving, leaving me behind

Steve placed his hands on Ren's waist, while Ren's went to his shoulders.

Baby, bring it to me

They swayed a bit around the room, gradually getting closer to each other.

Bring your sweet lovin'

Ren had nothing but adoration in his eyes as he looked into Steve's.

Bring it on home to me

They both leaned in and kissed sweetly for a few seconds.

I know I laughed when you left

Ren pulled away first, and Steve wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's waist, so they were basically hugging and swaying.

But now I know I only hurt myself

Steve whispered in Ren's ear, "You know, after this school year's over, we don't have to be a secret anymore."

Baby, bring it to me

Bring your sweet lovin'

The smile on Ren's face grew wider.

Bring it on home to me

"Just a few more months."

I'll give you jewelry and money too

That ain't all, that ain't all I'd do for you

"I'd say we could move away, start fresh, but we've gotta stay for Dustin."

Baby if you bring it to me

Bring your sweet lovin'

Steve chuckled and kissed Ren's nose.

Bring it on home to me

Ren scrunched his nose in response.

You know I'll always be your slave

Till I'm buried, buried in my grave

He leaned up on the tips of his toes and kissed Steve's forehead in retaliation.

Oh, honey, bring it to me

They swayed some more and Ren accidentally tripped, almost making them both topple to the floor.

Bring your sweet lovin'

Bring it on home to me

They laughed, and Steve pulled Ren back up to almost eye-level, as he was just an inch shorter, three with his hair.

I tried to treat you right

But you stayed out, stayed out late at night

Ren rested his head on Steve's shoulder and listened as his boyfriend softly sang the last lines of the song.

"But I forgive you, bring it to me. Bring your sweet lovin'. Bring it on home to me."