Chapter 6 'Kiss '

The next day in class, Cean was not there. I was wondering why. He was quiet in class, but he never really missed a day. I found myself wondering if he was okay. Maybe he was sick or something bad happened to him. I hated that my mind went towards those scenarios, but I couldn't help it. It took Mott waving his hand in front of my face to bring me back to reality.
          'Koy, are you okay? You've been spacing out a lot lately,' Mott asked concerned. I lied and told him I was fine. That I was just thinking about the upcoming exam. I knew Mott could tell I was lying.
            'Come on, Koy, you know you can talk to me about anything, right?'

      I did know this, but I didn't know how I could explain to Mott I was having feelings for another guy. I felt bad keeping things from him, but I just wasn't ready to talk about it. Mott shook his head and mouthed whatever under his breath seeming to be dropping the topic.

     I went back to focusing on class. It finally ended, and I was getting ready for my next one, when all of a sudden Queenie and a squad of four other girls came barging in the room.
             'Where is he?,' Queenie asked.
'Where is who,?' Another classmate answered back.
                'Cean. Where is Cean?'

   I decided to butt in and tell her that he wasn't in class all day. She came over to me and circled me like a tiger observing her pray. I stood up straight clinching my fists; I could feel the sweat beads starting to roll down my face. I didn't know why she was making me so nervous.
          'You are that boy he went and studied with last night, aren't you? Pfft...you aren't much. Don't see why he canceled on me to be with you.'
     I wanted to say something to her, but I just ended up staring at her instead. She laughed in my face.
         'What can't talk now? How pathetic. Cean sure picks weird friends. Anyway, I don't care who you are to Cean. No one, will get in my way of being with him. He is mine.'
'He belongs to no one,' I said under my  breath.

    Queenie must have heard me because she then slapped me hard across the face. I felt the sting of her hand on my cheek. She went and raised her hand to slap me again, but another hand reached out and stopped it.
         'Queenie, that is enough. If you hit my friend one more time, I will never speak to you ever again,' Cean threatened. Queenie lowered her hand.
'Cean, where were you today? I was looking all over you, babe.'
        'I had business with the dean. Now, if you don't mind I need to talk to Koy,' Cean grabbed my hand pulled me away from her and out of the class.

     He pulled me along until we were alone. He grabbed my face, and examined where Queenie had slapped me. When he touched it I winced a bit.
         'Sorry, does it hurt?' I shook my head. He touched the area again this time a little harder, 'Ow, okay it hurts a little.'
          ' You don't have to lie to me if you are hurt or scared. You did the same thing that night we first met.'

      I think he was talking about that night I went out drinking with my friends. I looked away from his gaze, but he pulled my face back towards his. His lips were dangerously close to mine. I closed my eyes expecting him to kiss me, but he didn't.
          'I think we should go and put some medicine on your wound, come on then.'

    I nodded and followed him to the infirmary. We entered, and I took a seat on one of the medical cots. Cean was looking for the nurse.
    'I don't see the nurse around here. It's okay I don't think she'd mind us borrowing a few supplies. I will be right back.'

     He came back with some ointment and helped me put some on my face. I thanked him. He smiled and told me not to mention it. I was getting up off the bed when he pushed me back down on it.
  'What's wrong?' Cean held my arms. I could feel him shaking; he was trembling.
        'I want to kiss you, Koy. But, I am nervous.'

     I didn't know what to say because I too wanted to kiss him as well. So I closed my eyes and puckered my lips slightly to give him the okay. He snickered, while letting go of my arms. I felt him grab my chin to pull my face closer to his. His lips pressed firmly against mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and kissed him back. What we didn't know was that Queenie had been following us the whole time.
         'Cean! What are you doing?! Get away from him. How could you kiss a boy?! What if he's gay?' Queenie came in and pushed us apart pulling Cean away with her. Cean forcefully removed his arm from her grasp.
   'Let go! I wanted to kiss him. I don't care if he is gay or not. I like him, more than I do you.'

   Queenie's face turned three shades of red before she screamed in a huff of rage. She came running towards me about to hit me, when Cean blocked her and took the blow.
      'Cean, I'm sorry...I didn't...' Cean cut her off before she could complete her apology.
    'You and I are done for the time being.. If you come near me or Koy again today, you will regret it.' He turned to look at me and asked if I was okay. I was more worried about him, but he didn't seem to care. He helped me off the cot, and while holding my hand we brushed past Queenie leaving her staring at us while we left.