Chapter 12 'Lie'

I drove Mott's scooter to Cean's place. I was just about to reach his flat when I saw someone exit his place. It was a girl, and she looked sad. Cean hugged her close. Watching this I felt angry and sad at the same time. Why was he hugging her instead of me. I stepped forward, so he could see me. I soon realized that the girl was Queenie.
       We made eye contact, and with tears once again about to fall from my eyes I said, 'I hope you are happy together.' I turned to run away from them, but I felt a hand grasp my arm tightly stopping me from going, 'Let go of me!'
      'Koy, it's not what you think. Queenie just...' I stopped Cean before he could say another word, 'Don't.'Don't. Just please don't. I am tired of all this. Just be with her. Our lives will be easier if you...' Cean was the one to interrupt that time.
      'Idiot! I don't have any feelings for her what-so-ever. None. You are the one I love, and I am never leaving you. Queenie is a bitch, I will admit that, but she is still my friend. She just lost her grandma. So she came over for a bit. I really don't want to be with her. You are the only one for me, Koy! Can't you see that.'

   I looked at Queenie who was watching all this unfold with a smile on her face. I hoped she wasn't lying about her grandma just so she'd have an excuse to get closer to Cean.
     'I want to believe all this, but...' I was cut off by a kiss from Cean. I heard Queenie yelling at us to stop, but we didn't seem to care. She must have left soon after because it got quiet all of a sudden. Cean then pulled me into his place.
     'What happened today? We were fine all day, and then you just started ignoring me like I didn't exist or something,' Cean asked.
   I looked at him still upset about what just happened with Queenie. Just because he kissed me doesn't mean I was automatically going to drop the subject.
'Nothing happened. I just needed some space. And I still don't trust Queenie, nor do I buy the whole her grandma being dead thing. Have you even got a call or anything from her parents or yours? I am sure since your families are so close one of them would have mentioned something by now.'
   'What does it matter? Queenie would not lie about something like that.'
'Are you sure?'

     I wanted to tell him about what happened to me at the school between Queenie and I. How she threatened me to stay away from him, and how they are already arranged to get married, and that our lives would only get worse if we stayed together, but I could not.
     'Koy, don't you at least trust me?'
'I don't know, Cean. I mean I do, but it's complicated. I just...,' Cean embraced me and held me in his arms.
     'I don't care what happens. Just don't leave me, Koy. I need you more than you'll ever know. So please will you trust me that I don't harbor any feelings except those of friendship towards Queenie. And, even if she was lying about her grandma to get closer to me that won't change my feelings towards her or you.'

    I held onto him and nodded my head in his chest. I wanted time to stop forever then. But, soon enough Cean got a phone call. He answered it. I sat down on the couch while I listened to his side of the conversation. He finally hanged up, and sat down beside me with his head in his hands.
   'What's wrong?'
'Sigh, you were right, Koy. She lied about her grandma. None of them heard anything from her parents about it. I can't believe she'd lie about something like that. And, then to make matters worse our parents are arranging for us to get married! What century is this?!'
    'I'm sorry.'
'Don't be. I'll fix this. I am not marrying her. If I marry anyone it will be you. I don't care what anyone says either.'

     My face blushed at the mention of him wanting to marry me. I took his hand into mine and held it. He looked at me and smiled. I really hoped he could find a way out of the marriage arrangement. I did not want any part of my dream from earlier to become a reality.