Chapter 13 'Stairs'

I spent that night over at Cean's. I woke up craddled in his arms. He looked so handsome while sleeping. Being with him made me the happiest I'd ever been in my life. I brushed back his bangs and kissed his forehead.
       'Morning.'
'Morning. Did I wake you?'
        'No, I was just about to wake up,' Cean stretched and went to put on his pants while getting up from the bed.
      'I am not going to classes today. If this marriage is going to stop, I will need to talk my parents out of it. And the sooner the better.'
'Should I go with you?'
     'It's best you didn't. Don't worry everything will be fine. Remember I need you to trust me.'

    Cean hugged and kissed me. I did trust him, but everything else that has happened made it difficult for me to do so. Cean and I parted ways later that morning. I went to class like usual, but it seemed lonlier without Cean there. I was just going over some of the classwork when I overheard some other students talking.
         'Hey, did you hear the news?'
'What news?'
          'That the campus most wanted bachelor and bachelorette are going to get married! It's all over social media!'
'What about that one boy the campus bachelor is supposedly with?'
           'Oh, him. So get this. That was all a hoax. Like the school's number one heartthrob is gay.'
'Yeah, that didn't make much sense. It would have been a waste if those two guys ended up together.'

      I knocked my books on the ground making a loud thud. It startled the two that were gossiping.
        'What is your problem?'
'That perfect guy you are talking about is my boyfriend. He is not getting married to that girl!'
        'What?! You, you are his boyfriend? I don't buy it. Even if he was gay, he'd do so much better than you.'
'Why is it so hard for people to believe we love each other? He loves me, and I love him. And, I don't need you gossiping parakeets telling me otherwise.'

      I gathered my books and left the classroom. That was the first time I stood up for myself and someone else. Albeit that someone else was my boyfriend, but it still counted.

        Anyway walking through the halls I tried my best to avoid eye contact with anyone. I wanted the day to end, so I could be with Cean again. I was walking along one of the corridors when Star and Mott stopped me.
          'Koy, are you okay? Did you see the news already? I can't believe he was engaged, and he had the balls to date you as well. What a bastard!' Star was fuming by this moment.
  'Star, babe, calm down. We don't know the full story. I am sure there is an explanation for all of this.' Mott placed his hands on Star's shoulders and like magic she was instantly calmed.
            'Anyway, sorry about that. Now Koy, can you please explain to Mott and I what the hell is going on.'

     I started off telling them about the threat Queenie gave, and how she coaxed both of their families into an arranged marriage. I even mentioned how she has lied to Cean about her grandma dying, so she could be closer to him. They listened to every word I said till I was finished. Then Star said,
          'What a bitch! Sorry. No wait; I am not sorry. She is a bitch. How desperate is she by the way? Ugh...anyway, I think we should come up with a plan to sabotage the wedding.'
'Thanks Star, but Cean and I will handle things. He is speaking with his parents at this very moment. I do appreciate the help you are offering, but I rather not get you or Mott involved.'
         'Well, that is up to you then, but we are here for you Koy anytime. Even though you don't want our help, we are still here, okay?' I nodded while Star hugged me before saying goodbye to me with Mott.

    They left, and I continued walking till I reached the edge of the stairs. I was just about to head down, when I felt something or someone push me. Next thing I know; I am on the second landing of the stairs in immense pain. It felt like my ankle was either twisted or broken. I tried getting up, but the pain was unbearable. I reached for my bag which flew off me as a tumbled down and grabbed my cellphone. I thought about calling Cean first, but then remembered he had other important things to do like convincing his parents to not let him get married. So, he was definitely out of the question. So, I decided to call Mott.

      I dialed his number, and waited for him to answer. Over the phone I told him I fell down the stairs and needed help. I didn't mention I was intentionally pushed. He told me he would be on his way soon. I was able to sit up a bit before he came, and helped me fully back on my feet. I mentioned it was hard for me to walk. He bent down, and told me to hop on his back. I told him I was sorry for the inconvenience. He then said this is what friends are for and not to worry.

      Mott took me back to our dorm where he got ice for my ankle. Luckily, it wasn't broken like I thought.
     'Hey Mott, don't mention this to anyone. Not even Star, okay?'
'Hmm...okay. But, you know, I am not buying the whole you accidentally fell thing. You are many things Koy, but being clumsy is not one of them.'
       'Please Mott. I don't want them to worry. Especially Cean. He has a lot to deal with lately.'
  'Alright. Geez, you can be a real pain sometimes. But, if any of this starts to become worse--I am telling, no ifs, ands, or buts. You understand?'
   I gave Mott a salute and said loud and clear.