A Steaming* Symphony

Haruhi kept good on her word of keeping quiet on what she saw. Occasionally I'd catch her just staring at Kyoya and I as we did our usual shtick, but she never said anything so I couldn't really complain. I didn't really blame her either for looking at us like some weird puzzle or something.

After my continued teasing over Despereaux she had asked me abut us. About if we were dating. I found myself frowning and just giving a shrug back to her with a another statement of 'It's complicated', because in some sense it was.

Ever since she asked that though the question had been on my mind. What were we? Like what were we doing? I still had my concerns, the doubts and worries that plagued me right after we first kissed still lingered in my head. College, our families, there was so much involved in whatever this was and it was all just a great big headache. But I did my best to ignore it.

I didn't want to worry about any of that right now. We hadn't graduated yet, we were still just high school students right now. It wouldn't last forever of course, but just for right now I wanted to just embrace that and let it be simple. Everything else could wait, we still had time to figure things out-if there was anything to figure out that is. So right now I'm not going to entertain any of those thoughts.

Or at least, that was my intention.

"If you keep staring at the phone like that it might crack," Kaoru tutted as he plopped next to me.

"What're you doing here? Where's Hikaru?" Some distant part of me was concerned that they were plotting something, his brother hiding for a rude and surprise entrance. But I ignored it, the work phone in my hand held all of my attention instead as I frowned down at it.

"We're not Siamese twins, we don't have to do everything together you know. So what's wrong," the phone was plucked from my hand, the Hitachiin letting out a low whistle as he gazed at my screen. "The symphony huh? Need a dress?"

"Give me that, and I doubt it. I'm sure my mother has it all sorted out for me."

"The symphony?" Kyoya's rapid typing ceased, the sudden pause and question prompting Kaoru and I to turn towards him.

"Yeah, Saturday night. Why-oh. I didn't see the rest of the event note." I think I must have physically deflated as I read who would be accompanying me, my whole body seemed to just corrode on the spot in despair. Of course things had been going just a little too well.

"So I take it you'll be attending with Akito?" The slight edge in Kyoya's voice didn't even phase me, if Kaoru noticed it he certainly didn't say anything on the matter. I wasn't even able to address it or joke about it, I was too busy starting my own pity party.

"Akito? As in your ass of a brother Akito?" Kaoru demanded, good to see I wasn't the only one who held that opinion of the second Ootori son.

"Yes, he-" "Why would they be going together-oh no. Don't tell me Crystal, are you dating that guy?"

If we had a record player I think that it would've scratched to a stop right about now. Everyone seemed to freeze in the room at Kaoru's outraged shout. Then, in the blink of an eye, Hikaru and Tamaki appeared out of no where to swarm me.

"Dating? Who are you dating? I thought we were done with secrets Crystal!" Tamaki kicked off the whole thing by violently shaking me as he screamed, it might have been the rapid whiplash but I swear fire was spitting from his mouth. Meanwhile Hikaru and Kaoru joined in with their own duet of questions and outrage. One brother would begin something only for the other to finish, occasionally they slipped into just wild hand gestures as they grilled me. The whole interrogation was a mess and it seemed like I would be receiving no help in getting out of it.